Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Trade in Offer

(Topic created on: 22-05-2019 10:07 PM)
EvilSmoothie
First Poster
Options

Hello,

So I have asked this to Samsung support over the phone and got the most jibberish answer you can image that literally made no sense.

So, I have a Galaxy S7 Edge. It sadly has a cracked screen however. I was about to get this replaced by my insurance company for £75 so I could trade it and get the £200 credit towards the new Galaxy S9.

However; upon looking at the Terms & Conditions I got a little confused. I read the T&C's (I'll quote them further down) it says that they will only accept phones that meet the minimum requirements, and essentially must be fully working and not damaged. My phone is damaged. However, then in contradiction to this it goes on to say that the phone will be examined and if it doesn't meet the requirements they will impose a £75 surcharge. Which is fine as thats the same as what my insurance company will charge and saves me the hassle of sending it off.

But it's not really clear from the T&C's if that is simply the case. Does this mean that if I send in my damaged device and subseqently pay the £75 surcharge that I can keep the Galaxy S9 and the discount and in effect they WILL accept my device as long as I pay the £75 charge.

I'm a little concerned that they will charge me £75 as an inspection fee etc. but still not accept it and then demand I repay the £200 credit or return the S9.

When I spoke with Samsung support over the phone she said something about £150 fee and then repay the cost of the entire S9. She was making no sense AT ALL. I asked about the £75 written into the terms and conditions and she had no idea about it and said it's not £75 its £150 and she had a table in front of her. I pointed out it's written in black and white and she just couldn't answer that.

I emailed the shop and got a reply confirming that it is a maximum of £75. I'm very confused and don't want to get stung on this one when I can just get it replaced via the insurance company and then send it off in full working order.

Can somebody please confirm that I CAN send a damaged device off and will just have to pay the £75 surcharge.

http://images.samsung.com/is/content/samsung/p5/uk/pdf/sup-upgrade/TradeInFullTermsandConditions.pdf

3.4 Your participation in the Trade In Programme is subject to you providing the Existing Handset to us within 7 days of receiving your new Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9+ handset. The Existing Handset must meet the minimum requirements set out in clause 5.2. Should you fail to provide the Existing Handset to us within 7 days of receipt of your new Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9+ handset you will be required to return your Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9+ handset to us. Failure to provide your Galaxy S9 or S9+ device to Samsung will result in legal proceedings being taken against you to recover the device.

5.2 Please note that the option to provide your Existing Handset is only available if your Existing Handset meets the requirements set out below (“Minimum Requirements”):

Minimum Requirements

Functionality: The Existing Handset must be owned by you, it must match the make and model from your order form and it must also meet the following functionality criteria.

23/07 and provides services in the UK on a cross-border services basis. The CSSF is the authority responsible for the supervision of companies in the financial sector in Luxembourg.

1. TRADING IN YOUR EXISTING HANDSET

5.1 If you decide to take part in the Trade In Programme, you must provide your Existing Handset to us. The Existing Handsets set out in Appendix 1 to these Terms and Conditions are acceptable for the purposes of the Trade In Programme.

5.2 Please note that the option to provide your Existing Handset is only available if your Existing Handset meets the requirements set out below (“Minimum Requirements”):

Minimum Requirements

Functionality: The Existing Handset must be owned by you, it must match the make and model from your order form and it must also meet the following functionality criteria.

• It must power on/up and hold charge
  • It must be fully functional and must have no software or hardware faults
  • It must only have normal wear and tear - there must be no damage or blemishes to screen/LCD and the casing around the device including the camera lens must not be cracked. No level of liquid damage is acceptable.
  • It must have a fully functioning display and have no cracked screen
  • It must not be blacklisted - each device must be eligible to pass all lost/stolen registers
  • It must be factory reset and have no software locks - the device must have any personal account locks removed and the device must be reset to remove personal data, all devices must have their iCloud or Google accounts removed
  • It must not be PIN locked and must not have an have ‘Activation Lock’ or 'iCloud Lock' activated
  • It must include its battery within the casing and must not have any missing parts
  • It must not be crushed, bent in half or liquid-damaged
  • It must not be “jail-broken” or similar and the firmware must not have been altered
  • It must be original and meet the manufacturer’s original UK specifications (and is not personalised with any custom engraving).

Then contradicted by:-

5.3 Please note that we inspect all Existing Handsets which are provided as part of the Trade In Programme. If the Existing Handset which you are proposing to provide to us does not meet the Minimum Requirements, then we, or the third party company we use to inspect the Existing Handsets (MTR Group Limited) will contact you and notify you of this within 3 days. If your Existing Handset does not meet the Minimum Requirements, a surcharge of £75 will be payable to MTR Group Limited. MTR will contact you advising how to make payment in these circumstances. If you have any concerns about the inspection of your Existing Handset, or wish to discuss the result of this inspection, please call us on 0330 SAMSHOP (726 7467).

So which is it. It is not accepted with damage, or accepted with £75 surcharge?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Ziggy50
Explorer
Options
Hey, interesting situation.

If you wanted to be totally safe, I would probably just fix it through the insurance but my from my past experience with Samsung, I would say that they will be fair when charging you.

I would definitively not expect them to charge you more than the 75£. From the information you provided, it seems that the only number mentioned is 75£ and not 150£.

I personally would be happy to send it to Samsung damaged and I wouldn't worry about having to pay more. I would feel safe knowing that it is said in the t and c's.

Ultimately it's your decision but I would say to go for the option which is most convenient for you and I'd say in this case it would be to send it straight to Samsung! Good luck with your decision 😁
0 Likes
sean7
Explorer
Options
Send them an UN-broken phone, as they will charge £75.00 then send the phone back to you, if it does not meet the criteria
they will send it back, as MK is who the phone gets bought buy, a 3rd party
0 Likes
Djbarnez
First Poster
Options

What was the result of this? I have just got off the phone to a Samsung rep who said you would just pay the surcharge and still get your trade in discount. 

I'm looking at trading in an s8 plus for an s10plus. So £275 trade in, then I have a small blemish on the screen so would pay £100 max, leaving me with £175 discount 

0 Likes
Calvin_
First Poster
Options

What was the result of this? Did they charge you £100 and still honour the discount, letting you keep the phone?

0 Likes