Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung S9 notification still sounds when set to silent

(Topic created on: 03-06-2019 01:32 PM)
JustinS9
Student
Options

I have a samsung S9. I updated my software to the lastest oneUI with android pie update two months ago(or whenever is was released). About one week ago I have been recieveing notification sound while my phone is set to vibrate only or silent. My media is on but everything else (notifications, ringtone, system, bixby voice) is all muted. However, I still get notification sound. Before this issue came up i would not recieve notification sound when my phone was set to silent and my media volume was on. This issue is very annoying especially when i have class. I went to a walk in samsung support store. But they could not give me a good solution besides wiping my device completely or going through each application and setting it to silent.

12 REPLIES 12
Lykia
MegaStar
Options
You can try out the Remote Support via samsung members app.

ᐯIEᒪE GᖇÜßE, ᒪYKIᗩ
0 Likes
Solution
zweizergain
Journeyman
Options

Same issue but only when I connect my bluetooth headphones (Bose QuietComfort 35 series 2). When using the headphones, notifications still happens through Vibrate/Silent/Do-Not-Disturb. After turning off the headphones, the issue persists until the phone is restarted.

Polezi88
Student
Options

Yep same. All I want is a normal silent option like the iphone. Once phone is on silent there is no sound at all and it only vibrates.  Atm my brand new samsung leaves media volume up load when its supposed to be silent???? Wtf?? I never thought iphone would be better at something than samsung but here it is, the most basic thing

andyrays
Student
Options
Same issue on S7 Edge after disconnecting bluetooth headphones. Started having the issue this week. But the sounds are a bit strange, I think. Kind of like it plays multiple times on top of each other.
John96
First Poster
Options

Hi.

I might be missing something here. What is the actual solution? I have the same problem with GS9+ and QC35II.

Johann

Polezi88
Student
Options

Agreed, I don't see a solution here. I have to put the phone on vibrate the turn the media down, then off vibrate and turn media back up. Very annoying. You can't even set DND to vibrate only, which is the quickest option.

0 Likes
Amelinde
Apprentice
Options

There is another thread on this here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/S9-Message-notifications-still-make-sound-when-phon...

Seems like it's a bug, and restarting may or may not fix it until you connect your headphones again. I have same headphones, and same issue. Even the part where it plays the notifications like an echo. 

JustinS9
Student
Options

Restarted my phone and it was back to normal thanks!

0 Likes
DutchDoctor
Journeyman
Options

Same issue here, took me AGES to find this thread.

Galaxy S9 + Sony MH3s.

After pairing with the MH3s, notification sounds are glitchy and forced at MAX volume. With no apparent way to disable them. I have tried:

• Played with individual volumes, notification, ring, media, etc. No effect at all.

• Played with toggling "call audio" and "media Audio" in Bluetooth settings.

• Tried disabling "absolute volume" in developer settings.

• Played with all the settings in my Sony XM3 app.

• Tried toggling dual audio, tried toggling Ringtone Sync, Media volume Sync (advanced Bluetooth settings).

After disconnecting the MH3s, even if the phone is on silent - notification soudns will still occur based on the media volume setting on the phone. This issue stays until the phone is rebooted.

---

There are TWO major issues here:

1. While listening to music via bluetooth, it is currently IMPOSSIBLE to disable notification sounds. This is extremely jarring and ruins the music listening experience. Especially when I should just be able to set my phone to vibrate only and actually enjoy my commute. The notification sounds are also glitchy and incorrect at that, often the wrong tone being used for the wrong app for no apparent reason.

2. After disconnecting bluetooth headphones, all notification sounds seemingly route through the "media audio" stream rather than the system notification audio stream. This issue stays until a power cycle of the phone.

These are serious quality of life issues with the phone, impacting core features and should be escalated for hotfix ASAP. It's outrageous that this has gotten through QA testing at Samsung.  This issue only started occuring within the last month or so. (I think 2 updates ago, on my S9).

Please Fix!