Support

Open search

Samsung Pay UK

SOLVED
Apprentice

Hi,

I bought my S9 in Hong Kong and I am wondering if I can set up Samsung Pay UK rather than Samsung Pay Hong Kong, whenever I open the app I get a popup saying would you like to set up Samsung Pay Hong Kong, if I click ok and try to register my UK bank card the only cards it supports are ones from Hong Kong banks. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Navigator

I think you'll find phones purchased from Hong Kong don't support Samsung Pay or Volte calling. I had an S8 Plus from there and it didn't work. But I knew that before I purchased it as Saud in their FAQs. Something to do with the international setup. 

13 REPLIES 13
Navigator

I think you'll find phones purchased from Hong Kong don't support Samsung Pay or Volte calling. I had an S8 Plus from there and it didn't work. But I knew that before I purchased it as Saud in their FAQs. Something to do with the international setup. 

Pathfinder

Hey @HarryCameron

@tf2006 is correct on this one. You'll be unable to set up UK banks with a phone originating from Hong Kong. To use Samsung Pay UK, the phone would need to be intended for use within the UK. 

Hope this helps!

take_01.jpg

First Poster

For some reason, you just can't register with the new s9 and plus. I'm sure they will sort it soon. I just registered with google pay. Download the app.

Highlighted
Pathfinder

@Mason2

Are you still having problems when trying to register your card on the Samsung Pay app? Which bank are you registering and where was the phone purchased?

Liam

take_01.jpg

Apprentice

That's such a shame that Samsung don't allow you to register bank cards for different countries

First Poster

I am facing the same problem in India. I purchased a unlocked s9plus in UK. But can  not use VOLTE and Samsung Pay in India. Due to non availability of VOLTE, I can not make or receive calls on Jio network. 

I am done with these so called flagship phones from Samsung.

I don't think I will buy any Samsung product in future.

Apprentice

Google Pay works with my UK Halifax account on my S9+ it was not easy to set up though...

My phone is also from Hong Kong.

Contactless pay is still useless on my Samsung Gear S3. Come on Samsung! What is the point with all this technology if you cannot use it?!

Apprentice

@Dan886 wrote:

Google Pay works with my UK Halifax account on my S9+ it was not easy to set up though...

My phone is also from Hong Kong.

Contactless pay is still useless on my Samsung Gear S3. Come on Samsung! What is the point with all this technology if you cannot use it?!

How did you get it to work?

Apprentice

Samsung pay still does not work, but Google Pay does.

For Google Pay pay I tried the following:

1) Put the phone in UK English 

2) put a UK SIM card in (removed the foreign one)

3) went to Google play store settings and changed the payment settings to an UK address and gave my Halifax bank card account information.

4) restarted my S9+, waited 48 hours for Google to incorporate  the necessary change.

5) Only then could I download from the Google App Store,  the Google Pay App. (Before I got a message stating that the app was not available in my country)

6) put all Halifax card information in to Google Pay App

7) ensured that Google Pay was changed to override Samsung Pay, so Google Pay became the default App.

8) called Halifax and asked them for them to enable the "NFC phone payment option" that they did for free. Gave them all necessary information about my account.

9) restarted phone and waited about 24 hours for the bank to implement the change.

10) turned on NFC and placed it on the terminal when I was ready to pay and it worked.

I never would have thought that it would have been so complicated .

Top Liked Authors