Support

Open search

SD CARD ERROR ON S9+

Apprentice

I too am having problems. I've tried 3 different S9+'s and they all do the same thing. The phone locks up, system UI isn't responding message,  won't take pictures, leaves a gray picture instead of the actual picture or leaves a grey picture with an exclamation mark in it. The phone lock up is irritating but losing picture opportunities is the most frustrating as you can't recreate those. I have had several Samsung's, but this will be my last and that's saying a lot as I really hate iPhones but that will be my next phone if this doesn't get fixed.

Apprentice
My S9+ is doing the same thing. I've tried 3 different S9+'s and they all do the same thing. I've even had the phone lock up while taking pictures without an SD card. Oddly enough the SD card works flawlessly with my S7. Why is that I wonder. I also get a system IU not responding message sometimes when phone locks up. Sometimes it's locked up for 5 minutes or so. But the most frustrating thing is all the pictures I thought I were taking didn't take. Birthdays, family reunions, funerals, graduations. So many memories lost because the camera didn't work when you thought it was. So frustrating.
Highlighted
Explorer

Your pictures may not be lost.  I had an occasion where I was not able to find some pictures.  When my phone thought that it had a problem with the SD card, it stored the pictures on my phone.  I used "MY FILES" (a Samsung app.) to view the pictures when I selected files on "internal storage" instead of the SD and the pictures I thought did not take were there.  When my phone thought that there was a problem with the SD card, it started using interal storage.  I switched my phone back to SD because there is not a problem with my SD card.  I have checked my SD card and it is fine.  I am afraid that Samsung is going to corrupt it for me.  Such a shame on them!  If only the national news media would find these pages maybe Samsung would fix it.  They would be force to because they would lose too much business.

Apprentice

So as of today my S9+ started with the sdcard issue...also 128gb sandisk which worked fine on S8..

Dear Samsung i was actually considering changing to the Huawei P20Pro and after buying samsungs since Galaxy1 and chose to stick with sammy and bought this phone 

Obviously a big mistake....i think going to sell this one and buy a Huawei...i think you are going the HTC path

Explorer

Yep and unless you search for exactly the right thing you dont find the problems til after you buy and run into them yourself.... I was able to retrieve a movie I had on the 1st card and som photos between Xplore files and cloud, but the ones with my granddaughter aren't showing up and cant get phone to use internal storage..  nothing seems to be where it is supposed to be follow the go to this tap this and it's not there on this annoying thing... I want my s7 edge back😭

Explorer

Worst part is if having the problem you annd I are No one even has much suggestions if you get then error code theres a couple tricks you can try but seems to be nothing if pics come out as gray with exclamation point or in some cases just not there at all.. and the missed pics break my heart cuz my youngest granddaughter is 9 months and theres one more on the way in January. And with all the preloaded bloatware you basically need the sd card or no room for pics.. when this card started there was no warning like last time where 1 or 2 missing or grayed out .. I took 12-15 pics of her and a friend of mine less then 5 min later tried to show someone else pics and they all grey I successfully retrieved 1 and not sure how was just doing everything I could think of and suddenly 1 showed up again but none of the rest...Also have to say this dictionary sucks and cant shut it off... it turns  1 word into 3-5 non words just jumbled ***** and now has started jumping up 3 lines in middle of sentances while typing. Really loved Samsung now dont know can ever trust anything they make again after putting this out with no warnings No concern for the consumer who ends up stuck with this junk.. and every time I see a article raving about it if you can comment I do and list the be prepared for or you forgot to mention ... wish someone had done that before I bought it 

Navigator

still having the same issues, currently running a diagnostic program on my laptop to confirm no fault with my sd card. With no sd card, my s9 has no issues ..

Just emailed Samsung support to see if they have any knowledge of this. 

"Hi, hope someone can help with this, myself, along with countless other S9 owners are having problems with their phones not being able to read from/write to their SD cards, taking pictures/video, saving music/apps to their SD cards and then becoming corrupt and the data becomes unreadable and lost. I am wondering if Samsung are aware of this and are acknowledging this as a fault, are there any updates in the pipeline to rectify this? Thanks for your time..
Please have a look at the Samsung site/forum to look at this further..
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/SD-CARD-ERROR-ON-S9/td-p/448986"

Will let you guys know of any replys ..👍👍

Navigator

Hi all... PLEASE READ THIS!!

Don't know why, but I think I've cracked it... 

I ran a diagnostic on my SD card, no faults . I then reformatted my SD card using Easeus Partition Master, during which it only gave me the options of formatting to NTFS/Fat32/Ext2/Ext3. Normally SD cards are formatted to Exfat .Obviously NTFS is no good, not knowing what Ext2/3 would do , I used Fat32, I know there is the issue of files larger than 4gb with this, but my S9 is happy with the SD card! I've dumped a load of music/films , took a bunch of photos , NO PROBLEMS/ERRORS! 

It has only been an hour or so, will give it a day or two and will report back with good/bad news ... Maybe someone else can try this and comment as well? 

Anyone at Samsung reading this ? Can you forward to your techies to confirm and update us that this is true and provide a fix to allow your "flagship" phones to read Exfat format SD cards !!

AntS Moderator

Interesting stuff @derobr_75. Happy to feed your findings back to our software team for you - so please let us know how it goes.

If anyone else wants to give derobr_75's suggestion a go, please do so and post your experience in this thread. 

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Explorer
Or given the deafening silence from Samsung on this defect to date, maybe you would like to tell us what Samsung has uncovered so far and what they plan to do about it?!

wrote:

Interesting stuff @derobr_75. Happy to feed your findings back to our software team for you - so please let us know how it goes.

If anyone else wants to give derobr_75's suggestion a go, please do so and post your experience in this thread. 

Top Liked Authors