Support

Open search

SD CARD ERROR ON S9+

Navigator
You'd think so wouldn't you...
Yet to see any acknowledgement from them, a brand new "flagship" phone that cannot read or write to an sd card!! Maybe the millions sold outweigh the few hundred (guessing!) that are having issues with this. 😡😤
COME ON SAMSUNG.... REALLY!!!
Explorer

I got a firmware up two days ago and thought that might fix my SD error problem, but it did not.  Today I could not even take a picture until I turned my phone off and back on.  I have been dealing with this problem since I traded my S7 edge in for the S9 Plus in March of 2018.  This does not make me want an S10!

Apprentice

This is becoming absurd. My wife's phone has the same issue. It's the worst experience I have ever had with a Samsung.

Highlighted
Apprentice

I have probably like many others logged an issue with Samsung....let's see in 48hrs if they respond and with what........

Navigator
Waiting for them to respond!!
Obviously not that important yet,
Navigator

Getting a 'little' annoying now .... 

Thought they might have picked up on this by now!!! 

SAMSUNG.... WHERE ARE YOU?? 

Apprentice

so.................[takes a deep breath]....here is the reply I received

I hope you are doing well today. I understand that you keep getting an error message about your SD card on using it in your Galaxy S9 plus. Please don't worry, I'd like to get this resolved for you.

We are sorry for this inconvenience. This notification of SD card is new feature to pre-notify SD card malfunction on S9/S9+ as SD card has a limited life span. The repeated SD card error can cause the sluggish response of device and the user data loss. Due to this Samsung has applied to new notification concept regarding SD card error in advance. If the notification has continuously appeared, Samsung recommendthat you format it after data backup or replace it with another SD card.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Should you have any further concerns with any of your Samsung products, please don't hesitate to reach us again, we'll be more than happy to assist you.

...not sure of peoples opinion on this answer, but from other comments I've read, it seems even doing this, the issues keep happening......sounds like a 'fob off' to me.....I will investigate further.

Explorer

@Dogue999Don't waste your time investigating. I have reproduced the issue multiple times with their own Samsung SD cards in their service centre with reps from offshore onsite. I gave them the logs they needed, even allowed them to send the phone off permanently as an affected unit so they can identify root cause and rectify. There has been no further feedback since. Mind you, I have never had data corruption or sd card failures, just an annoying intermittent message from the camera reminding me an sd card was detected even though it's been there all along. I have worked around this by defaulting the storage to internal instead. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a class action or recall in relation to this eventually. Brings back memories of the Note 7 saga. Very poor response from their rep. Once again, completely untrained and oblivious to a thread like this.

wrote:

so.................[takes a deep breath]....here is the reply I received

I hope you are doing well today. I understand that you keep getting an error message about your SD card on using it in your Galaxy S9 plus. Please don't worry, I'd like to get this resolved for you.

We are sorry for this inconvenience. This notification of SD card is new feature to pre-notify SD card malfunction on S9/S9+ as SD card has a limited life span. The repeated SD card error can cause the sluggish response of device and the user data loss. Due to this Samsung has applied to new notification concept regarding SD card error in advance. If the notification has continuously appeared, Samsung recommendthat you format it after data backup or replace it with another SD card.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Should you have any further concerns with any of your Samsung products, please don't hesitate to reach us again, we'll be more than happy to assist you.

...not sure of peoples opinion on this answer, but from other comments I've read, it seems even doing this, the issues keep happening......sounds like a 'fob off' to me.....I will investigate further.

Apprentice

I hear you!......they probably hope eveyone leaves it....I'm sure I'll be one of them soon...but we keep pushing!

My reply back:-

Sorry, but I don't agree with your explanation. The SD card I have is 2 years old and manufactured by Sandisc. Given the average life span of a SD card under 'normal' use is 10 years, I don't believe this is a pre-notification of malfunction.

A very quick search online and within the Samsung community, also highlights many others with the same issues, that have replaced or reformatted a SD card and the error persists.

Also, there seems to be contradicting messages coming from Samsung about this issue.

You say, "it's the SD card" others within Samsung say they are 'aware' of an issue and possibly in the next update this gets fixed - Which is it?

I can still use the phone and SD card, but when I get a notification every hour about SD card issues, it becomes annoying, especially as I don't want to turn of the system UI notifications in case any actual issues occur.

I would just like to know what Samsung are doing about this and the timescales. It's not a SD hardware issue.
Explorer

@Dogue999Perfect response however I suspect it will fall on dead ears...at least until some big media channels like Android Authority or CNET etc start talking about it as a generic fault that has remained unrectified. Shame on Samsung not doing much about it. They've had plenty of time to investigate given how long this thread has been going for, made even more disappointing by the fact I know for a fact they have the logs and faulty devices and they know it has nothing to do with the sd cards. 

wrote:

I hear you!......they probably hope eveyone leaves it....I'm sure I'll be one of them soon...but we keep pushing!

My reply back:-

Sorry, but I don't agree with your explanation. The SD card I have is 2 years old and manufactured by Sandisc. Given the average life span of a SD card under 'normal' use is 10 years, I don't believe this is a pre-notification of malfunction.

A very quick search online and within the Samsung community, also highlights many others with the same issues, that have replaced or reformatted a SD card and the error persists.

Also, there seems to be contradicting messages coming from Samsung about this issue.

You say, "it's the SD card" others within Samsung say they are 'aware' of an issue and possibly in the next update this gets fixed - Which is it?

I can still use the phone and SD card, but when I get a notification every hour about SD card issues, it becomes annoying, especially as I don't want to turn of the system UI notifications in case any actual issues occur.

I would just like to know what Samsung are doing about this and the timescales. It's not a SD hardware issue.

Top Liked Authors