Support

Open search

SD CARD ERROR ON S9+

Explorer

After much debate in my own head, I ended up swapping out my unit for the 256Gb version instead, still the Exynos S9+. I once again have a touchscreen that correctly responds to all my touch commands, not something I could say for my last device, which I am now 100% convinced was faulty in that regard.

I have not replicated the SD card issue thus far on the new device, but then again, I have decided I am not going out of my way to try and reproduce it initially. Previously, once I knew how to do it, post clearing the camera data and cache, it would take make anywhere between 200-500 photos or videos taken in quick succession for me to reproduce the initial fault, after which, it would happen every few photos or videos or every few times I restart the camera app. To clarify, I have not had a single sd card type of failure outside the camera app. I can always access the sd card and all its contents without fail. If my initial approach doesn't work, over the weekend, I will try my old method and report back. I have decided even if I do replicate this fault, I am not sending the unit back as I am guessing the quick succession is borderline the same as taking burst shots, which do end up landing on the internal storage BY DESIGN. 

Highlighted
Apprentice

I am having the same problem.  Continusously getter error stating that there was a read/write error with my SansSD car.  I took it out, opened it on a PC, clicked around, and properly ejected it.  I haven't received the error message again and it's been about 6 hours.  

Explorer

So it took me 311 shots to replicate the error message on my new 256GB Exynos S9+ this morning. As mentioned previously, given the extra space on this phone and the fact I do feel this is a software issue, I will default to internal storage knowing this message will not re-appear. This handset is not going back. Hopefully Samsung can fix this eventually. 

Apprentice

@Romani

Hey, how fast are you taking pictures and what is the model number of the SD card. I'm wondering if it's possible that since this new phone can handle a 400GB Micro SD card it has to handle a high rate/speed of transfer. I beleive my card is an HC 128GB (I need to pull it out and check (that's what she said) but I hesitate for fear of the notification monster that has been sleeping all day today) . What if the transfer rate of the SD card is slower than the rate at which the phone transfers or requests data from the card, which would be a design/backward compatibility issue of the device and not an actual issue with the card?

I've taken pictures today and they have all made it to the card, but I wasn't going all trigger happy like I do in PUBG when I hear footsteps outside my window. 300 pics? That's like $40 worth of film. 

Explorer

@WilCruz wrote:

@Romani

Hey, how fast are you taking pictures and what is the model number of the SD card. I'm wondering if it's possible that since this new phone can handle a 400GB Micro SD card it has to handle a high rate/speed of transfer. I beleive my card is an HC 128GB (I need to pull it out and check (that's what she said) but I hesitate for fear of the notification monster that has been sleeping all day today) . What if the transfer rate of the SD card is slower than the rate at which the phone transfers or requests data from the card, which would be a design/backward compatibility issue of the device and not an actual issue with the card?

I've taken pictures today and they have all made it to the card, but I wasn't going all trigger happy like I do in PUBG when I hear footsteps outside my window. 300 pics? That's like $40 worth of film. 

I am using a class 10 SanDisk 200Gb card extreme, supporting transfer speeds of 95MB/S, where I believe Samsung recommends a minimum of 30MB/S.

I am taking the pics in quick succession, without actually holding the shutter button down constantly so I DON'T go into burst mode, and I then record video and simultaneously take pics while the video is still recording. I then close the camera app entirely and remove it from my recent apps, repeat the steps, until eventually reopening the camera app results in the message on start up of the camera app. Once the message does show up, from that point on, I can replicate every few photos or camera restarts. It takes no effort from that point on.

Last but not least, in case you haven't seen my other posts, I have replicated this on 2 SanDisk cards, of the same capacity, one old, one new, a Samsung SD card, and now across 3 S9+ devices, 2 which were 64GB, the most recent being 256GB.

Apprentice

Well so much for that theory.... 

I need to get me one of those with the 256gb on board. I wouldn't need an SD card then  

First Poster

I'm having the same issue (S9+ 256 GB Duos).

I bought the device here in Germany, so its the exynos Version.

PLEASE Samsung fix this error!

My SD Card is so extremely slow if this error orrurs. On my S8 everything is fine...

First Poster

I am having a similar issue though I have not seen the read/write error message.  Rather, i have had a 256gb micro sd xc card that I had been using in a samsung galaxy A tablet for a year with no issue and I put it in the S9+ phone and in 3 weeks I have had 3 different times where the card (that I have been using to store photos and music and which I have NOT removed) suddenly isnt seen by the phone anymore.  Then when I take it out and try removing and re-inserting it the phone says the card is corrupted and needs to be reformatted.   I ca't  figure out what is corrupting it or how I can prevent it from happening with a new card.

Navigator

Starting having more serious problems with mine I was just getting the storage pop up in the camera application but yesterday I tried moving stuff to sd card but kept failing, wouldn't let me delete anything so tried copying everything to my laptop but it got halfway and failed and then kept getting the read error on my s9+ then the SD card wouldn't show up and finally it corrupt. Thanks samsung for me loosing all my stuff. This problems been present for a while and should have been a priority fix ! It worked flawlessly in my S8 plus which makes me believe something is wrong with my s9+. 

Navigator

Got a response via feedback app saying to take to nearest repair centre maybe it's hardware who knows.

Top Liked Authors