Support

Open search

S9 speaker phone cutting out on call

Explorer
Ahhh you got it from carphone warehouse? Mine was from Vodafone directly. I had a similar issue with CPW before which is why I now only deal directly with a Vodafone shop.

I never got a chance to love the phone because it was driving me so crazy!!! Thankfully I still have my S8+!! I'll try again with the S9+ in a few months time when they've ironed out the issues. I really need my phone to be, well, a phone!!!! I know right?! Novel experience!!
Navigator

I got it directly from a Vodafone store. I sold my S7 Edge so I will be without  a phone if they take it in. 

Explorer
I'd be demanding a refund or another handset no questions asked. You're well within your rights on that one.
Highlighted
Voyager

Still waiting for a reply to see if the recycle centre can return my S8+

however I downloaded the latest update last night for the S9+ and had a 40 minute phone call today and it didn’t drop out!

anyone else had an improvement since the update?

Voyager

Double post

Navigator

Some more info on VOLTE. The S9 does not have the menu options in the Mobile Network (for Telstra, Australia) to turn on/off "VOLTE" or "HD Calls".  maybe it is by default enabled for all S9 phones ( I don't know). By default Telstra has "VOLTE" turned off for each consumer but can it can be turned on specifically for you if you call them to do so. They can also turn on "HD Calls". Their cheaper sub-providers like AldiMobile, Boost, Woolworths have specifically and generically had VOLTE disabled for al their services although they do use the 4G networks. VOLTE apparently also uses your data allowance for phone calls. There are numerous older complaints online like this url: crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Samsung/Samsung-S7-VoLTE/td-p/555694 where having VOLTE on on the phone reduces the call quality on Telstra network.
I am wondering if having VOLTE capability "on" on the S9 (even if VOLTE is "off" at the provider) has anything to do with the problem since the phone will be able to detect that 4G is on and 4G is a pre-requisite for VOLTE, so maybe is assumes its available at the provider and has a go (unsucessfully). Not sure if my logic is sound but my partner who also has a faultly S9 is with Aldimobile and he also has the intermittent silence/dead spots in his calls as well as calls dropping. Before we take his S9 back again I may get Telstra to turn on my VOLTE and HD Calls and test this SIM in his phone for a few calls.

Navigator

My understanding is that VOLTE uses 4G for calls over the internet using your data allowance and that the settings on phones and at providers should enable users to choose for their data to be on 4G whilst their calls on are 3G - at least until the usage of 4G or switching to 3G for calls is universally smoother. Is this incorrect are you saying 4G = VOLTE?  My understanding from url: www.4g.co.uk/what-is-volte/ is that 4G is used by VOLTE but 4G was designed for data and is not always optimal for calls - particularly when switching mobile towers. 

Explorer

@djleecharleswrote:

however I downloaded the latest update last night for the S9+ and had a 40 minute phone call today and it didn’t drop out!

I don't seem to have any update (yet) in UK so I'm not sure if it's a phased release. But in any case, sounds like they may have fixed the issue.

Navigator

@djleecharleswrote:

I'm in Ireland and still waiting for the update too. 

Explorer

there are no new updates....  arcc...  but some gettin it now.. we had it for a while now

Top Liked Authors