Support

Open search

S9 pie upgrade - Hate the new look

First Poster

I just upgraded my S9 to the new Pie upgrade and I completely HATE the new look. The icons and especially the incoming/outcoming call display is HIDEOUS. I tried downloading some new themes to change the the overly colorful look but couldn't since it doesn't change the display of incoming/outgoing call.

The icons and the new look resemble to  cheap phones (no offense). But I purchased such an expensive phone because of its sharp and crisp looks and now after the update it has becoming extremely disturbing to even look at it.

I would really request Samsung to get this changed and go back to their old style of display or get a better one. This upgraded one is just horrible!!!

438 REPLIES 438
First Poster

I agree it is hideous. It reminds me of the icons you would see on a child's toy phone. Plus, I can no longer swipe to text or type. I hate tapping, it's too jerky and annoying. Getting rid of a feature like that is more akin to a downgrade than an upgrade. 

@S9pieupgrade wrote:

I just upgraded my S9 to the new Pie upgrade and I completely HATE the new look. The icons and especially the incoming/outcoming call display is HIDEOUS. I tried downloading some new themes to change the the overly colorful look but couldn't since it doesn't change the display of incoming/outgoing call.

The icons and the new look resemble to  cheap phones (no offense). But I purchased such an expensive phone because of its sharp and crisp looks and now after the update it has becoming extremely disturbing to even look at it.

I would really request Samsung to get this changed and go back to their old style of display or get a better one. This upgraded one is just horrible!!!

Apprentice

I agree it's the ugliest ui yet and why the hell is the clock on the left in the notification area. It should be on the right with other handset info not eating up valuable notification are. Even the Bixby screen with its horrible black background it terrible, iam gonna stop using Bixby altogether now, yes I do actually use Bixby home or should I say used to 

Explorer

Hey!

You can try changing the look of your phone and costumize it the way you like using the theme store. To access the theme store just long press in a free space in ur homescreen and click themes. There just click on Icons to only change the Icons or themes to change everything. The theme store is also accessible from the settings menu under the option "wallpapers and themes"

Highlighted
Apprentice

Just got a msg from Samsung about using themes to change the look but will that let me put the clock back to where it should be, also occurs to me that a theme won't correct the quick settings menu or the Bixby home screen and you have to pay for most themes, what a solution pay them to fix an issue they created 

Apprentice

Can't agree more. Plus I don't understand why anyone would use bixby when we have Google assistant. Plus I hate it that they want to force you to use the stupid bixby so called assistant. At least earlier we had the option to disable it. Now we can only change it to one or two presses of the button?? What a load of bull****

TracyR Moderator

Hi all,

It's always appreciated when you post feedback regarding updates and the changes.

I'd also recommend submitting feedback through the Samsung Members app, this way it gets to the developers directly.

For the icons, there are icon packs available to download in the Galaxy App store.

Sherlock 2.jpg
Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

Observer

I dont like the look either

Apprentice
I did get a small work around... I disabled the bixby voice features and then, since I use an Urban Armour Guard case, I used a small knife to remove the bixby button on the case. Now I can't accidentally press the button while going for the volume... Still sucks that I have to go to this extreme to ignore bixby. Seriously, Samsung makes great hardware why can't they leave the software to the pros? That or give the users the control? Jeez
Apprentice

I also agree with you. Childish and cheap looking. If we have to go to the Anapp store to get a different theme, they could at least make the pre-upgrade look available.

EDA I've now loaded Nova launcher and found an icon pack that brings the look back to how it was virtually, with the previous system icons. Nice and crisp and modern again! I still wish Samsung wouldn't have changed it to begin with...Screenshot_20190322-112636_Nova Launcher.jpg

Top Liked Authors