Support

Open search

S9 pie upgrade - Hate the new look

@Earth wrote:

I agree it is hideous. It reminds me of the icons you would see on a child's toy phone. Plus, I can no longer swipe to text or type. I hate tapping, it's too jerky and annoying. Getting rid of a feature like that is more akin to a downgrade than an upgrade. 

@S9pieupgrade wrote:

I just upgraded my S9 to the new Pie upgrade and I completely HATE the new look. The icons and especially the incoming/outcoming call display is HIDEOUS. I tried downloading some new themes to change the the overly colorful look but couldn't since it doesn't change the display of incoming/outgoing call.

The icons and the new look resemble to  cheap phones (no offense). But I purchased such an expensive phone because of its sharp and crisp looks and now after the update it has becoming extremely disturbing to even look at it.

I would really request Samsung to get this changed and go back to their old style of display or get a better one. This upgraded one is just horrible!!!

Of course you can still swipe to call or text. I have Galaxy s10 on Android pie and I have this option. It's in settings, advanced settings, motion and gestures, swipe to call or sent messages. 

Casual reminder that Android is open source (Linux based)

Apprentice

Nothing got better since my post 2 weeks ago. I have now left Android for Apple. This update and the problems sealed the switch. I hope everyone else can get their issue fixed. 

Observer

Agree 100%. I've been a devoted Samsung purchaser for years, (bought the s9 last year) but I'm done! Everytime I buy a new phone the updates start , and my phone, especially camera sucks there after...And this flipping "pie" ***** took me over the edge... 

First Poster

Hmmm, I found a set of free icons that are slightly less offensive than those that Samsung have forced on us with the latest ui offering. Have I downloaded it? No. It says that it's important to read the 'special terms' - pages of tiny gobbledegook which may, or may not, allow Samsung to control my phone - and I don't have enough years of my life left to plough through it all.

I'm going off Samsung fast. 

Apprentice

@Enjay wrote:

@Slick91 wrote:
Firstly theirs a link in a previous post to the YouTube video then go to sammobile to download Odin so that you can download the files needed to turn your phone back to oreo. I've done my note 8 at the weekend. What I did mess up on tho was I used this phone to encrypt my sd-card and now it says this phone can decrypt it yet it's still letting me store and view files on the sd-card.

Apparently the April update changes something so you can't go back to oreo. Some digit in the build number, it's changed to a 3 so any system needs to also have the 3. 

That's right. Now on top of not reverting the terrible update themselves or providing with a solution, they raised the bootloader number in order to make it impossible to roll back to Oreo.

Voyager

@Paultech wrote:

@Enjay wrote:

@Slick91 wrote:
Firstly theirs a link in a previous post to the YouTube video then go to sammobile to download Odin so that you can download the files needed to turn your phone back to oreo. I've done my note 8 at the weekend. What I did mess up on tho was I used this phone to encrypt my sd-card and now it says this phone can decrypt it yet it's still letting me store and view files on the sd-card.

Apparently the April update changes something so you can't go back to oreo. Some digit in the build number, it's changed to a 3 so any system needs to also have the 3. 

That's right. Now on top of not reverting the terrible update themselves or providing with a solution, they raised the bootloader number in order to make it impossible to roll back to Oreo.

I came across a guy running pie and his number was 1! 

Now I'm not sure what the story is.

And on top of that there's a big hoo ha with Huawei now so they won't be a future option. 

Highlighted
Navigator

And another thing that I have noticed that they have done is make themes not fully compatible with the full UI.

Example, if i chose a theme, no mater if its dark or not, the email is always white.  Also, when you go to file explorer with the dark them you purchased, the fots are not visible... basically, the theme just not fully incorporates with the phone.  This annouance I have found with more than one themes.  With Samsung Oreo, i had spent over £20 on themes...  Now, with this update to OneCrap... I mean OneUI, I have lost all the beauty of those themes and now have to use the default Samsung theme with the ugly icons (in dark mode).

I came to Samsung from BlackBerry (and Huawei). This to me at the time was the best version of Android out there on a smartphone.. the UI was so intuiative and just asteticaly beautiful. NOW, I do not feel the same way and currently looking to see what my next phone would be, which before this silly OneUI, was going to be a Samsung S10.  Don't think so now. Will see whatelse is out there... The OnePlus looks promissing. 

Voyager

Today a lady at the gym asked me about my phone, I told her, she said that she ahd heard of the problems. She then handed me her IPhone, Wow it was great!  It did not have the stylus or a few other bits, but it worked and was easy to manuver about in. And the camera, it was amazing!  There is my 2 pence for the day.....

Apprentice

Yep. I switched to IPhone XS Max and love it. Took a little getting use to but would not go back to Samsung at this point. I even committed by getting a watch too. Make the switch!

Top Liked Authors