Support

Open search

S9+ pie update hotspot problems

Apprentice

Hello,

I have the S9+ (CE version) and this morning had the bad idea to install the Pie update. One of the most important features for me is the ability to share wifi from the phone at max speed. My land line is very poor, and I got me an unlimited 4G+ plan just for this purpose. So as with the Xiaomi I had before, as well as the S9+ under 8.0, I had the option to set up the hotspot to emit at 5 GHz, and it worked fine. Just this morning I downloaded an update at 19 MB/s.

So I update the S9+ to 9.0/Pie, start the hotspot and see it's only emitting at 2.4 GHz. I go into settings and boom, the option to use 5 GHz isn't there anymore. Did I just performa an update that threw me 10 years back and onto a 100€ phone? My hotspot settings "Advanced Options" only has one option about PMF, I had a "5 GHz" toggle 2 hours ago on 8.0.

I called support and all they could tell me is to backup everything, reset the phone and "see how it goes". Before I waste my time doing that, probably for nothing, I'd like an official answer: did the Pie update on the S9+ officially remove the ability to share the phone on 5 GHz wifi? Or is it just a temporary fluke and that will be patched (though it's been 2 months now)?

Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16
TracyR Moderator

Thanks for the feedback, @Neofit26!

It may be that it's simply a teething problem with the OS.

My advise at this point would be to submit your feedback via the Samsung Members app, so it's able to make it's way to the developers. 

Sherlock 2.jpg
Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

Apprentice

Thank you for your reply.

Just to make sure, what do you guys see in your Settings in your Hotspot "Advanced Options" menu?

8.0 on the left, 9.0 on the right, I lost the 5 GHz option on the right.

Screenshot_20180921-142142_Settings_.jpgScreenshot_20190130-124747_Settings_.jpg

TracyR Moderator

I've checked this for you, @Neofit26, and I can see the 5G Hz option. 

PieHotspotTest.JPG

Sherlock 2.jpg
Say "hello!" and

Apprentice

Thank you TracyR. Just to make sure, S9+ with the Pie (Android 9.0) update, dated Dec 20 2018?

Screenshot_20190130-154848_Settings_.jpg

TracyR Moderator

In front of me I have a S9 running Android 9, One UI 1.0

There are a few small differences that I can see, mainly the Build Number

Can you let me know what network you're on and the full model number? 

I can then try and find out the latest Build Number for your phone/network. 

Sherlock 2.jpg
Say "hello!" and

Apprentice
I am on Free in France, I don't know how to be more accurate on that. I bought the phone unlocked on Amazon, CE version, and called support afterwards to check with the serial and the other numbers if it's a legit one and really CE, they said it was.
Apprentice

Also:

Screenshot_20190131-095150_Samsung Members_.jpg

Wait, what now? The members app is telling me in English that it doesn't speak English, basically. And I do have French as a secondary keyboard, available as a swipe on the Space key, if only you'd let me open said keyboard . Besides, I am pretty sure that there are more English-speakers who can help me than there are French-speakers, if only statistically. That screenshot is wrong on many levels.

Apprentice

No answer from the members app, not totally unexpected. I fixed it by myself. In case it helps someone else, here is how.

I downloaded the exact same firmware that was installed after the patch, 9.0, G965FXXU2CRLI_G965FOXM2CRLI_XEF, from sammobile. I flashed it and it reinitialised something and the 5GHz option is back. I have now the exact same version of the firmware that I had after the update and before flashing, and didn't even need to reinstall any app or reconfigure anything after using the "HOME_*.*" file to flash.

Observer

How did you manage to reflash it every time I try to it just constantly gets stuck on Setup Connection

Top Liked Authors