Support

Open search

S9+ fingerprint scanner paint peeling off

Highlighted

Hi,

I have had my S9+ for less than a year and I absolutely love it, but over the past few days the paint has started peeling off the fingerprint scanner and now it isn't always registering my fingerprint.

I have read about this happening in America and they fix it for free under warranty, is there a similar solution here in the UK?

Thanks,

Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
AndrewL Moderator
@MarkHumphreys: Have you tried de-registering your fingerprint and re-adding it to see if this helps? If you dial *#0*# into your telephone keypad and select 'Sensor > Fingerprint Test > Normal Scan' does any part of this test fail? If so then please check the following link, select 'Mobile Device' and enter your post code to find your nearest Support Centre: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/. ^AL
Highlighted

I have the same issue, finger print scanner paint peeled off after I used the phone for a year.

If you google around you can see this is happening to many samsung s9 users, this is definitely a product defect. 

I talked to Samsung Canada support and they are unwilling to put this on warranty.

Basically, that's it for your phone. Never buy another samsung again.

(Also wanted to comment on the moderator above obviously didn't read the question lol)

Highlighted
First Poster

Same here. It happened a few months ago after approximately 8 months after purchasing my s9. I kept getting error messages saying that I should clean my scanner and with further observation I found that the paint on the scanner was chipped so i then tried to wipe the scanner in an attempt to get it to work again but i accidentally peeled all the paint off it and i was horrified but to my shock it worked like it did before the issues and it still does to this day.

idk if that would help but i figured that I would share anyway.

Highlighted
The paint on my scanner just peeled off today, will I have any issues in the future or should I repair it
Highlighted
First Poster

It shouldn't have any issues. Same happened to mine a few months back and it still works great.

Highlighted
Observer

The same happened to me 2 days ago, after 14 months of using it in the orginal case. After it, it works much worse. I have ghost touches(phone is vibrating when I just touch it, not even close to fingerprint sensor), it often does not recognize my finger and it is impossible to unlock phone by touching a sensor horizontally. Before it happened, everything worked perfectly. I deleted all registered fingerprints, and added it again but it did not help. I am going to contact local Samsung Brand Store in Poland and I will check what they will say.

I attach a photo how it looks now.s9.jpg

Highlighted

The paint on my S9+ started peeing and I began to experience the same problems in the thread. I bought a replacement touch ID pad, but couldn't open the back cover without the fear of breaking the phone. As I was contemplating taking it to a repair shop, I noticed that one of the replies said that it still works after peeling the paint off. I went ahead and peeled the rest of whatever surface coating off with my fingernail, with the full understanding of the risks. Surprisingly, the touch ID works now. I think the problem was that the bare spot and the coated spots were distorting (?) the fingerprint reading. Without the difference, it seems to work. The only concern now is that I notice another layer of deeper scratch that was made by my fingernail... We'll see if that leaves me worse off than before.

Top Liked Authors