Support

Open search

S9 contact text setting to a ringtone

First Poster

I have made the move from Apple to android and am frustrated with it's lack of contact control. To give some background... with work I am on call 24/7. They notify us to rush in and jump onboard the ship at short notice via text.  Previously with Apple I would leave my phone permanently on silent (vibrate). My works number was set on emergency bypass and a ringtone for the text message alert so that whenever I heard that  ringtone I would drop what I was doing and get ready to rush in.  Can I do the same with an S9?

1.  While the phone is on vibrate text and call alerts from specific contacts will still come through as audible ?

2.  Set contacts text alerts to ringtones.

Thanks for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
Explorer

The missing feature to add contact tones is a hot topic right now and Samsungsays they are working on a fix in an update, but they have not cameon record with a date!! It needs to be updated very soon because people are not happy at all that this feature is missing on the S9 family.  I upgraded from a S6 E+ that was almost 3 years old that had this feature into a S9 and no feature! Very frustrating to say the least and I regret the upgrade.

Explorer
Try Textra for SMS, it may help
Explorer
I was the same with my S8, Samsung were no help at all. I installed Textra for SMS and activated the 'developer' menu to add personalised sounds. You have to download the sound file and transfer from your download folder to your media folder this adds it to your default notif. list. Hope this helps...
First Poster

@FreddieDII wrote:
I was the same with my S8, Samsung were no help at all. I installed Textra for SMS and activated the 'developer' menu to add personalised sounds. You have to download the sound file and transfer from your download folder to your media folder this adds it to your default notif. list. Hope this helps...

I'll try googling this but how did you do it?

Observer

Im with you on this. I have just had a force upgrade on my work mobile from a Galaxy Alpha which I loved to an S9.

Not being able to customise the text notifications on my contacts is a real pain, its a feature I use all the time as is scheduled message sending. I am very disappointed - if I could send the S9 back I would!!

Explorer

The lack of response from Samsung and willingness to bring back this obviously important basic feature is frustrating!

Its obvious that this is an important feature but instead we get stupid lights that go around the screen when a message is received that can be customized! How about getting rid of the childish nonsense and give us the important features that we need!!

Samsung you straight up suck and its ridiculous!

First Poster
Downloaded that but where's the sounds features? Unless it jumps out at me I can't be bothered!😩

Sad to say it is still not available as of April 2019... LAME and major hassle, and why are some of the original included sms tones now gone?  OMFG so frustrating!!

Top Liked Authors