Support

Open search

S9 battery life

Apprentice

Hey s9 users, how's your battery life? I barely get 5hrs SoT with normal usage (Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, camera, just admiring the screen) and my brightness is set very close to minimum. What's your battery life like on your own s9? BTW I'm on one ui and my phone is barely 2 months old now, exynos version too. Even when it was on oreo, the battery life wasn't so good. Is this normal?

7 REPLIES 7
Superuser I
Superuser I
The screen is the most battery draining part and honestly, 5hr screen on time is quite a bit if you ask me. You will probably experience this issue with any smartphone. With such a use case I highly recommend a decent battery pack.
Apprentice

I used to get over 5hrs with the oneplus x, it's quite disappointing that this with a slightly bigger battery and a more "efficient" processor struggles. Anyway, does your s9 come with Facebook and LinkedIn pre installed and no way to delete them?

Superuser I
Superuser I
Don't forget the amoled screen (One of the highest quality screens on the market which takes quite some energy). Just to compare the screen (Excluding calibration):
Samsung Galaxy S9:
Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size
5.8 inches, 84.8 cm2 (~83.6% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution
1440 x 2960 pixels, 18.5:9 ratio (~570 ppi density)

OnePlus:
Type
AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size
5.0 inches, 68.9 cm2 (~71.3% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution
1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~441 ppi density)

Basically this means that the Galaxy S9 has more pixels to light up. You can effectively decrease the battery usage by - For example decreasing the resolution. 1440 x 2960 might be overkill for most people This explains why the OnePlus might be slightly better in this area (I personally prefer the better screen ).

Fun fact: Both screens are produced by Samsung.

With Facebook: Yes, And I would love to get rid of it.
LinkedIn: No idea, but I use it myself so it doesn't bother me.
Apprentice

Thanks for your responses, I was thinking maybe those apps don't come by default. I know about the resolution being a strain on battery life, but you know Samsung set the resolution by default to 1080p. In fact it was only yesterday I decided to bump up the resolution to 1440p since i was getting mediocre battery life with 1080p, might as well enjoy the full quality of the display right? On average what's your battery life like? 

Superuser I
Superuser I
Good idea I'm quite happy with my device (Its an S9+). Will make a screenshot after the full battery cycle (its currently 91%).
Apprentice

Hey man, you didn't post the screenshot yet or is your battery still going strong since 91%? 

Superuser I
Superuser I

Heya, Times are busy for me I actually charged my phone without realizing it (I have my default times where I'm -really- used to plug it into the charger, for example when I get home from work. Its hard for me to avoid something I'm really used to ). I did however note the recommendation The estimation it gave was 1 day and 7 hours for a full battery.

Top Liked Authors