Support

Open search

S9 USB can't charge/can't connect

Apprentice

All of a sudden, I can't charge via USB.  I see "charging connected device via usb" notification even with no USB cable connected. When connected to a windows laptop, I get a message "USB device not recognized.  The last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.".  Help.Screenshot_20190408-080731_One UI Home.jpgScreenshot_20190408-081239_Settings.jpgwindows_error.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Superuser I
Superuser I

I assume you've tried different data cables @EE954  ?

Can you try a different computer to help rule out if it's the computer alone rejecting the phone ?

Will the phone charge using its charger ?

Will it charge using a wireless charging pad ?

Using a torch look into the phones charging port to see if any debris is in there. 

Ultimately a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can help.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Explorer
Unfortunately it sounds like either your socket or the main board is faulty if you've tried other cables and the port is free of debris.

Crucial to check with another USB cable before declaring it a hardware fault, as the cable may have broken down internally and may be either shorted or completely broken inside despite appearing ok externally.
Apprentice
Haven't tried connecting to a diff computer. Wireless charging works though. I was hoping it could be a sodtware setup thing. But i guess it could be a physical port damage. Thanks!
Apprentice
Tried several previously used working cables, nada. Could really be hardware now. Thanks!
Superuser I
Superuser I

It then would be beneficial to visit a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre for them to run a diagnostic test.

Assuming it's not been dropped or had water into it.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Top Liked Authors