Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 Text message ringtone

(Topic created on: 09-03-2018 07:03 PM)
Jarvo
Apprentice
Options

I can’t seem to assign different tunes to individual Contacts messages anymore but still can with their Call ringtone. Am I doing something wrong, any help TIA.

Go to solution
451 REPLIES 451
cblackmon10
Student
Options

When is his update coming?  Thread notifications and custom individual message tones are not the same thing.  Samsung, this should be an easy fix, what is the delay?

BigBrad
Pathfinder
Options

And nothing but the sounds of Crickets from Samsung...... 

0 Likes
Niall0
Journeyman
Options

I take it that, now we're 16 months on from the original "we're looking into the possibility of considering an assessment of whether it's worth while investigating the need for such a feature" from Samsung, their lack of response should be interpreted as "you've already bought the phone, why should we bother putting any effort into making it work the way you like"?

0 Likes
BigBrad
Pathfinder
Options

Exactly.  However, this will not make me stop harping on it.  I am still waiting for an explaination of WHY.  

Tangoman65
Pioneer
Options

You will be waiting till hell freezes over. The S10 phones were released and working on the next grouping (S11) is well on it's way. As said previously once you've got the phone and out of any money back return option, they rub their hands together and proudly announce "SUCKERS"!

TheBlueCat
Apprentice
Options

@AntS wrote:

... ... 

We're unable to give a timescale for this, but definitely look out for it in future software updates coming your way.

... ...

Hi AntS.

It's nearly two years.  Have you got any update on this?

As someone with a software developer background myself, it seems like an awfully long time (& a number of updates later) not to include something that Samsung agrees everyone wants.

...and it's not like it could be a hard thing to implement given that it was already a feature at one point (and most of the code is already there for assigning individual ringtones to contacts' incoming calls).

0 Likes
Eror
Explorer
Options

nothing has changed. *** *** ***

Bring back the individual text tones to the CONTACTS APP., it's been two years and still no change, Samsung Lied, it s**** that they told us that they were bringing back the individual contact text tones, but they din't do it, they just added to the messages app. so now we have to set up conversations and then set the tone. which means we are having a bunch on conversations and wen we delte them we have to set the tone again and again, and again, this s****.we need this back in contacts app not in messages, ***, android 8 s****, android 9 s****, android 10 s****.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @TheBlueCat ,

Apologies for the delay. We asked our developers again about this one – but it’s taken some time to get an answer.

They’ve advised that from Android Oreo/8 onwards, Android changed the mechanism to make/modify/delete notifications –  notification sounds included -  in the OS. The specifics of that change meant that custom contact text notification sounds could no longer be supported.

Given that situation, the Messages app developers decided that being able to assign custom notification sounds to the corresponding message thread was the best way to keep as much of that feature as they could for users.

Appreciate that it’s not the news many (including myself) wanted to hear, but hopefully some light has now been shed on how the specific feature was lost and what was done to try to mitigate that.

I'd also like to apologise for any false hope on restoring the specific feature I may have given the Community. Sadly, it appears I was misadvised by an internal source as to exactly what the solution would be when we asked this question before. 🙁

Tangoman65
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the answer (eventually). Although not the answer anyone wanted at least we have a definitive answer. What still puzzles me is that the coding cannot be much if any different so, we can have individual ring tones but not notification tones. But it seems Samsung can't give a flying  🤬 for what its customers want. Just to rake in the money from its sales and sod the after sales. However what ever I say will not change the fact that Samsung are not going to do anything about it! 

Thanks again for passing on the info. 

0 Likes
userfBGSsCd4Me
Explorer
Options

It's nice to finally get a straight answer to this, but I do agree that it doesnt seem like it should be a difficult thing to setup.  Considering all the other android variants did the same thing I imagine samsung just sees that fixing this is just a waste of their profits.  It's very hard to see a feature that existed for over a decade, back to the very first smartphones and say losing such a useful feature isnt a step backward.  

0 Likes