Support

Open search

S9 Text message ringtone

Pathfinder

@Pigitha wrote:
@BigBrad: you're a hero with patience that makes Job look like a whiny little B**** for explaining, yet again, what the ISSUE here is; what the entire thread is about. Duh. Who are these people anyway, coming in 300 posts deep and chastising those who began the topic for complaining when their fix is so "simple?" I'd wager not a one of them bothered to read the initial post describing what by now has grown to thousands of disgusted Samsung users over removing a very important feature for absolutely no reason. Common sense would tell you that if this many people are so incensed by the removal of the text notification tones it's not as easy as that, and that it really is important to that many users. I noticed on this one thread alone a couple of dozen Samsung customers who are switching to something - anything- else whenever their able to trade. I'm certainly among that crowd; after having almost every model Galaxy since the S3 I'm switching to the iPhone XMax on July 6, the first day I'm eligible to trade it in. I'm paying over a thousand dollars for a device it had better be useful. Bye-bye, Samsung.

Well, I have to admit...  You got a laugh out of me on that opening comment there.  LOL.. 

The last few times that I've had to explain it, I've given up and did a Cut and paste from above.  I'm about to type a nice long explaination and save it and just paste it the next time that I have to explain it.  (For the 500th time)  I hate to see anyone slipping by the wayside and going to Apple.  I've had way too many horror stories involving iPhones, IPods, and EXPECIALLY iTunes.... (Genuflecting, and sacrificing a lamb to prevent the stirring of the demon Apple)

Maybe I should type up that story and save it for when people want to switch to Apple just because Android moved the clock 3cm to the left.  

Apprentice

I'm hoping I can find one that does. But they only had 2 options at Best buy. Neither one had it. I won't order online because I'd have to buy it sight unseen. I'll be going to a Sprint store soon to see what they have. 

I dont have this app available to me. Is that because I am on a Samsung 8? I hate that the individual text tone was taken away in the OREO update..it has made me question ever getting another Samsung phone. Is this update available on Samsung 8 at all?

Explorer

I am doing a major happy dance!!!!

Tonight my GS7 updated, so just for a lark, I checked the message settings and there it was!!!!! The text notification of each contact can again be custom set. I AM SO HAPPY!!!!! I have been following this thread for months and basically gave up on any changes. I don't know if it switches back to default if the whole thread is deleted. I haven't checked, but I don't care since I don't delete the threads of my important contacts anyway. I'm just over the moon I will know who is texting me now and know when to respond to the most important ones. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Praise God! Arlette 

Explorer

Arlette, I don't think this was what this whole thread was about. Weren't you able to set individual tones per conversation in the Messages app all along?

On the S9, we've had the ability for a long time to set a separate tone IN THE MESSAGES APP, PER CONVERSATION.  What we lost was the ability to set a separate message tone for a person IN THE CONTACTS APP.  While I also never delete conversations of people I care about, many people DO delete conversations so having the ability (as we used to on different models) to set a messages tone in CONTACTS  for a person for any other messaging app to use, matters. Also, if the people you care about are also in a group conversation, when they reply in that group conversation - even if you've set a tone for them in your individual conversation with them - you don't get 'their' tone, you get the general one. That's an issue we didn't have when we could set messaging tones in the Contacts app.

Explorer

<<<Weren't you able to set individual tones per conversation in the Messages app all along?>>>

No, I was not. I searched all over in the message settings before when it was being described in this discussion thread, and there was no customization feature for notifications in my message app. I can see that it may be a bit annoying to have to reset it for the contact if the text thread is deleted, but that is so minor compared to not having the custom capability at all! Yes, it is ridiculous that it can't be customized from the contact, especially since you can customize the vibration...really? Who needs a custom vibration? I can't tell one from the other. But the customer text notification did something VERY useful. But for now, I am thrilled with what I have.

Explorer

Please note that this thread title says "S9". Until your message people were discussing what features the S9 does or does not have regarding contact message tones. While I agree with you that what the S9 has in the messages app for my purposes is good enough (tones for conversations), I have learned from the thread here that other people use different features of the phone that makes it more important to have message tones for contacts and I'm not going to claim that what's good enough for me should be good enough for them.

Apprentice
As I've said before, anybody who comes I here now claiming that this is fixed without a totally addressing the real complaint is either a bot or a Samsung employee trying to derail the topic I stead of having it addressed. End of the day, Samsung has refused to properly fix this for a year and now into a second operating system. I will be dumping this phone at contract end. They lost a customer here. I cant support a company that blatantly lies to me.
Pathfinder

@Arlette3 wrote:

I am doing a major happy dance!!!!

Tonight my GS7 updated, so just for a lark, I checked the message settings and there it was!!!!! The text notification of each contact can again be custom set. I AM SO HAPPY!!!!! I have been following this thread for months and basically gave up on any changes. I don't know if it switches back to default if the whole thread is deleted. I haven't checked, but I don't care since I don't delete the threads of my important contacts anyway. I'm just over the moon I will know who is texting me now and know when to respond to the most important ones. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Praise God! Arlette 

Ok... I haven't jumped back into this thread in a couple of weeks, so here I am.  Yes, their "Fix" is a fairly good stop gap measure to fix a problem that they created.  As you mentioned, yes it does switch back to the default when and if you delete the thread.  I usually don't delete the threads of my important contacts either, but that is not the only problem.  

My pharmacy sends me a text message when it's time for my meds to be renewed.  It's all computer driven.  So I don't need my regular text message tone (Think - Close Encounters of the Third Kind) when a computer sends me an automated message.  I HAD them set to a quiet simple beep so that I knew there was no rush to answer a computer back.  And I see no need to maintain copies of all those texts between me and my pharmacy.  On the other hand, my Alarm company was set with a loud, obnoxious tone to let me know that there was and EMERGENCY that needed my attention RIGHT THEN.  But now, I have to maintain all those messages. 

The other bug.  Group messages.  (I love bringing this one up... Again.. )  Say I make the following assignments to the threads of conversations.   

Tone A to Friend A

Tone B to Friend B 

Tone C to Friend C

I send a message to Friend A and I get Friend A's tone in return.  The same with B and with C.  BUT, if I send a GROUP message to Friend A, Friend B, and Friend C, and then Friend A responds to the group, I get DEFAULT tone.  If Friend B responds to the group, I get DEFAULT tone.  If Friend C responds to the group, I get DEFAULT tone.  And most of my text messages go to either groups of Friends, Family Members, Co-workers, Team Members.....  

Sure, I can assign a tone to the thread of the Group, but I have to maintain that entire thread and I can't tell who is responding without looking at the phone.  Before, I could tell, do I need to get it NOW or can it wait a minute?  Is it my wife texting me or one of my daughters?  Is it my co-worker?  My good friend?  My Boss?  Is it my alarm company telling me my house is on fire, or is it my pharmacy saying that my meds are ready to be picked up?  Do I need to grab my phone NOW or can it wait a few minutes to get back to?  

Simple fix?  Return the feature to the CONTACTS APP where you assigned a custom text message tone to the Contact and not the thread.  From what I've been able to find, it is a ONE UI feature and not a PIE feature.  I checked a friends LG and it was still in his contacts listing.  

And now that you have woken the bear again, I am returning to my cave and hibernate again for a while..  

Explorer

Wow Big Brad, You really give your text app a work out! I can see how this ***** up by Samsung has affected you more than I. I can't imagine why they don't just fix it properly, especialky when they have many other useless features no one would ever use imho. Sorry to have poked the bear .

Top Liked Authors