Support

Open search

S9 Text message ringtone

Explorer

Yes.  It works fine.  It's a little more to do that messenger  but can be done.  I use it all the time. 

Pathfinder

Wow  It does (so far...)  I'll be doing some more testing this evening,  but so far I can assign things to individual so it seems.  Tonight will be more testing .  He was right,  it ain't easy, but it looks like it can be done.  More later. 

Pathfinder
Dang it. I tried. It doesn't work with group messages. Individual. It works. But groups it does not cover it.
Highlighted
Pathfinder
Update. It does seem to assign to the contract BUT it does not cross over to group text messages. An individual can head a specified tone, but it doesn't cross over to the group messages. Drat
Pathfinder

Ok.. mood does just like the standard app, although the backgrounds are a whole lot better.  It says that you tag the person, but it seems to be tagging the thread.  I had a conversation with Person A and Person B seperatly.  Tagged each with a specific tone.  Then texted both together in a group and wound up with the same generic tone.  So yes, it tags the conversation and not the person.  

Back to the drawing board.  I wish samsung hadn't of messed this one up so bad.  

Explorer

I don't know anything about tones for groups but doesn't Textra do individual text tones for certaion contacts and not the conversation? I used to use textra but stopped due to my Gear S3 watch I like it to show my texts so I use the stock app plus it matches my theme. :-)

Apprentice

Just to be fully clear here for those that are confused, if you dont go into the contact app and permanently assign a text tone the same way you would for ringtones then you are not doing the exact thing that we have wanted added back that existed in Nougat.  Anything else is a half baked solution that is not permanent and requires continual management. There is zero reason it had to change. 

Explorer

You are exactly right. The problem does not lie with the message app, it is with the operating system that took it away from the options in the contacts list. You could assign a text tone as well as a ringtone. Exactly the same principle.  Using a different text app changes nothing. 

Pathfinder

@Rose4uKY wrote:

I don't know anything about tones for groups but doesn't Textra do individual text tones for certaion contacts and not the conversation? I used to use textra but stopped due to my Gear S3 watch I like it to show my texts so I use the stock app plus it matches my theme. :-)

Believe me.. I've done some digging into this.  I've looked at Textra.  The underlying problem is the Contact App.  There USE to be a field on there for a Dedicated text message ring tone there, just like there was for a dedicated phone ring tone.  When Samsung deleted that field, that effected the App for messaging.  Not just the Samsung app, but for all other apps that used that field.

The Stopgap measure was what samsung did.  Lets assign the tone to the conversation and not the contact.  BUT if you delete the conversation, then there goes all modification to that tone.  

The app "Mood Messaging" was suggested.  I downloaded it and tried it out.  It does the same thing that Samsung does.  Tags the thread of the conversation and not the individual.  From what I've been able to see, Textra does the same things.  Since the deletion of that one field, EVERY app that does messaging had to be changed it seems like, because all of them had to do the same modification in order to work.  

For example, I have tones for my wife and both daughters.  If I get a one on one text from them, I know RIGHT THEN who it is.  However if my daughter sends a text to me, my wife and my other daughter in a group text, like any family should, I get my default text tone.  

I have the same problem with my team/co-workers.  Yes, I could tag each conversation with them with a specific tone, and then put up with HOURS of text messages to preserve those tones, and then assign another tone to the Conversation and then preserve HOURS of text messages to preserve that setting.  Or how about we do what we did for years.  Assign a tone to the CONTACT and be done with it?  

The programming shouldn't be that hard.  After all, its the SAME thing that use to be there.  

Pathfinder

@Rose4uKY wrote:

Believe me.. I've done some digging into this.  I've looked at Textra.  The underlying problem is the Contact App.  There USE to be a field on there for a dedicated text message ring tone there, just like there was for a dedicated phone ring tone.  When Samsung deleted that field, that effected the App for messaging.  Not just the Samsung app, but for all other apps that used that field.

The Stopgap measure was what samsung did.  Lets assign the tone to the conversation and not the contact.  BUT if you delete the conversation, then there goes all modification to that tone.  

The app "Mood Messaging" was suggested.  I downloaded it and tried it out.  It does the same thing that Samsung does.  Tags the thread of the conversation and not the individual.  From what I've been able to see, Textra does the same things.  Since the deletion of that one field, EVERY app that does messaging had to be changed it seems like, because all of them had to do the same modification in order to work.  

For example, I have tones for my wife and both daughters.  If I get a one on one text from them, I know RIGHT THEN who it is.  However if my daughter sends a text to me, my wife and my other daughter in a group text, like any family should, I get my default text tone.  

I have the same problem with my team/co-workers.  Yes, I could tag each conversation with them with a specific tone, and then put up with HOURS of text messages to preserve those tones, and then assign another tone to the Conversation and then preserve HOURS of text messages to preserve that setting.  Or how about we do what we did for years.  Assign a tone to the CONTACT and be done with it?  

The programming shouldn't be that hard.  After all, its the SAME thing that use to be there.  

Top Liked Authors