Support

Open search

S9 Text message ringtone

Explorer

Yes, the new feature in Messages is per conversation not per person (as it used to be in Contacts). Just don't delete conversations that you set a special message for. You can delete others though I don't know why anyone ever bothers.

Explorer

I've given up on Samsung altogether.  I have a washer that was blowing up in homes and their solution was place a stick-on label that essentially said "Don't use this setting. " This problem...174 pages of complaints and the best they've done is give an incomplete solution and,  of course,  fix the S9s. 

No more Samsung in this house.  Period. 

First Poster

Bring back individual message tones for different contacts. Shame on you Samsung, smh.

Explorer

I didn't like the new updated version of Messages you could do seprate tones but per conversation not per contact I hated it cause I don't usually save my conversations. So back to Textra I went. I like Textra and now I have individual tone per contact. Only thing I like and miss is in the conversation I have different color bubles but I like seeing both of our pictures next to each bubble and Textra I just see who I am texting with their picture up top and I loved Samsungs messages cause it matches my theme. But until they fix it Textra it is.

Explorer

I am starting to get a little p***** now with this entire thing! Samsung commented a few weeks back that we would have this feature returned in a future update, but no time frame or further comments were given, which seems like something to just calm the masses without actually doing anything. Some people are saying that you can update messages and assign tones that way, but I have no update to the messaging app available and it has not changed in weeks. Little ridiculous that we can assign a light effect for text messages through the edge panel, but cant have an individual tone for contacts. I bet they update the edge panel, so we can have useless custom edge light colors for contacts before individual text tones.
I am in the US and my messaging app version is 5.0.00.137 anyone else have this version or noticed a lack of update?

Lets go Samsung lets get this fixed! I say everyone start blasting on Samsung support on Twitter and FB!

Explorer

@AntS wrote:

Hi all. 

As a direct result of the feedback you guys have given here, the individual contact text message ringtone feature will be returning in a future update! :robothappy:

We're unable to give a timescale for this, but definitely look out for it in future software updates coming your way.

Thank you all for your contributions towards this! :robothappy::heart:

Edit: Also, please check out the workarounds given by Tangoman65 and AndroidGuru. 

Any update Samsung???

First Poster

While I do appreciate th ed effort in correcting this issue and thread tones do have a valid use, this issue has not been resolved for me. What you had was a place to personalize a ringtone to a person's contact. That way whenever that person sent  text, just like a call, they had a specialized ringtone. Now, you have to wait till they text to assign it to them. If their text thread gets deleted their messenger tone is deleted. Please add the contacts messenger tone back to the contacts app. Some people are comfortable going to s 3rd party app, but when it comes to my text messenger and phone calls I would prefer to stick with the one that came with my device.

Highlighted
Explorer

I couldn't agree more!

@ITGreen wrote:

While I do appreciate th ed effort in correcting this issue and thread tones do have a valid use, this issue has not been resolved for me. What you had was a place to personalize a ringtone to a person's contact. That way whenever that person sent  text, just like a call, they had a specialized ringtone. Now, you have to wait till they text to assign it to them. If their text thread gets deleted their messenger tone is deleted. Please add the contacts messenger tone back to the contacts app. Some people are comfortable going to s 3rd party app, but when it comes to my text messenger and phone calls I would prefer to stick with the one that came with my device.

I couldn't agree more!

Explorer

@Hat502 wrote:

I couldn't agree more!

@ITGreen wrote:

I couldn't agree more!

I wish they would hurry and fix it too! Bring back contact specific message tones. I switched to Textra and I had forgotten but sending pictures MMS I think you have to be on wifi or something and they never send right away like with the regular messages app. I switched back to the stock app. I hope they fix it soon!

First Poster

So glad, it's nice to recognize who as text you buy the sound, hurry up with the up date👍

Top Liked Authors