Support

Open search

S9 Text message ringtone

Apprentice

Until you delete that convo, then it will revert back to default. When in contacts you can preset the text tone and it will always be there even after you delete the text.
The old way was assigned to a person/phone number the new way its assigned to the convo.

Apprentice

Until you delete that convo, then you have to start all over when a new text comes in.

Apprentice
Only a victory if you don't delete the text.
Highlighted
Superuser II
Superuser II

Who for God's sake is deleting the convo?Stop cheating on ur GF... there is a known thing called "Secure Folder" for this :manwink:

Explorer

Though I preferred the old way too, If you have someone you correspond with enough to want their messages to have a distinct  tone, why would you ever want to delete that conversation? I'll admit I never delete any text messages ever, why bother? 

Apprentice
Thanks so much Jarvo
Explorer

I got the update a couple weeks ago and I can now change individual ringtones via the messages app it's not under contacts anymore but mines not working. It either goes back to default or I don't hear sound at all. Is it working for everyone else? I've checked my settings over and over it's weird. I have the 9 plus and my version  of messages is 5.0.21.18 which I believe someone posted here. I only read the 1st couple pages of this thread and googling my probalem is what brought me here.

Explorer

@Rose4uKY wrote:

I got the update a couple weeks ago and I can now change individual ringtones via the messages app it's not under contacts anymore but mines not working. It either goes back to default or I don't hear sound at all. Is it working for everyone else? I've checked my settings over and over it's weird. I have the 9 plus and my version  of messages is 5.0.21.18 which I believe someone posted here. I only read the 1st couple pages of this thread and googling my probalem is what brought me here.

I received the update too. No success.  However,  tying the individual tones to the message app will only make it so that particular message threads have an individual tone. If you delete the message, then the tone would be gone too. It would result in having to reset an individual tone every time you have a new thread from a contact. 

It seems Samsung just can't get it right. I appreciate the effort, but... they have failed again. 

Explorer

Oh so that's what's wrong when you delete the thread it goes back to default? It's been driving me nuts cause I keep changing tones back for people and just now my one friend it's working my other friend I changed back and it's not and I sent my self test messages and don't hear any sound. So Samsung needs another update do they know it's still wrong. I liked when it was under contacts. I always delete most of my conversations just to clean up my list nothing to hide LOL!

Explorer

@Rose4uKY wrote:

Oh so that's what's wrong when you delete the thread it goes back to default? It's been driving me nuts cause I keep changing tones back for people and just now my one friend it's working my other friend I changed back and it's not and I sent my self test messages and don't hear any sound. So Samsung needs another update do they know it's still wrong. I liked when it was under contacts. I always delete most of my conversations just to clean up my list nothing to hide LOL!

Yes, just like setting ringtones for a contact - which thankfully is still a feature. 

Setting an individualized notification from specific contacts is what we're all missing and wanting. I personally need to know when my boss is sending me a text,  or my parents who are both aging and I'm the only one in the area for them. I have a handful of contacts who I need to know if it's a text from them as opposed to someone else whose text is not urgent or requires an immediate response. 

The only way that can happen is to bring back being able to set specific notification tones to specific contacts (not messages).

Top Liked Authors