Support

Open search

S9 Plus Mobile HDR not enabled & Black crush

Explorer
Yup. Definitely not 100%.
First Poster

Why does my video look terrible when I send to someone

Apprentice

Does the Black Crush and Gradient Banding issue exist with Samsung Dex? Cause if it shows on the Samsung Dex then it is definitley a driver issue. If it doesn't show then it could be the screen AMOLED issue which has been an on going issue. I noticed S9+ users with carrier locked phones  have perfect displays while unlocked phones don't. It doesn't matter if it's exynos or SD. Maybe there is a high percentage of screen issues where the perfect ones get sold to the carriers and the non carriers get the defects.  Who knows.. but Samsung hasn't been giving the full response.

If you watch Titan on Netflix, at the very end you will see the issue with the black crush when she looks out into the night sky. You can see a square looking shape with greys and black pixelation around the screen. It's really bad. 

Explorer

Screenshot_20180531-183526_Samsung Members.jpg

Just more info an response for the HDR functionality. 

I am having the same issue with S9 Plus Verizon US. I am trying to watch Stranger Things that I downloaded via Netflix 4k. All lastest updates are installed and video enhancer is turned on. Looks absolutely terrible. Color gradient is abysmal.

First Poster

It's now 22nd of August and HDR video playback is still not fixed. The content looks outright horrible in Amazon Prime HDR shows and I can't even disable the same on my phone. Is it still an issue for you?

Pathfinder

Well I have a 10bit "version" of Avengers infinity War that I obtained through the legal ways obviously as piracy is a crime and should be stamped out...

And it does now switch to HDR when played in both mx player or the Samsung video player.

First Poster
I just traded out my S9+ for a Note 9 today and didn't realize how much the screen was muting black levels on the S9+. Mine was a US unlocked 845 variant and now that I see the difference, I can see how bad it was.
Explorer

@SithLord wrote:

Well I have a 10bit "version" of Avengers infinity War that I obtained through the legal ways obviously as piracy is a crime and should be stamped out...

And it does now switch to HDR when played in both mx player or the Samsung video player.

I've also tested MX Player with a HDR video, it works on both Stock and Mx player as you've said. I will say this though, there are still minor gradient issues with the darker to light colours but that's for nornal non-HDR videos that I've noticed it for. E.g. when watching Unbox Therapy, the background Lewis (if that's his name) uses.

Explorer
Wish I waited for the note 9. Whether it is really water carbon cooled or not, the larger heat sink will dissipate more heat when gaming. Will get the note 10 next year.
Top Liked Authors