Support

Open search

S9+ Camera zoom problem

Highlighted
SOLVED
First Poster

The rear camera worked fine until a couple of days ago however it has now developed a strange problem.

When zooming the image on the screen freezes as the zoom reaches aprox 1.5x - the zoom marker continues to change but the picture doesn't change. If you zoom back out then the picture will become live again as it goes under the 1.5x point.

If you take a photo while the screen is frozen then it will actually take it at the correct zoom, not what the screen shows....however once the zoomed photo is taken if you go back to the camera then you get no picture at all, just a black screen with the camera controls on it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
First Poster

Hi,

Yes I managed to solve it.

I had installed another camera app. as well and it must've been this that was causing the problem as I uninstalled it, just in case, and turned the phone off/on and since then the camera has started working fully.

9 REPLIES 9

Hi,

Any update on this issue?

I have the exact same thing on my S9+

When zooming in auto mode the picture freezes at 1.6x and unfreeze when you zoom out again.

The issue does not seem to affect pro mode however.

Thanks,

Alain

First Poster

Hi,

Yes I managed to solve it.

I had installed another camera app. as well and it must've been this that was causing the problem as I uninstalled it, just in case, and turned the phone off/on and since then the camera has started working fully.

What app was it?

CarlH Moderator

Hi @Wwalshy. To test if a third party app is definitely causing some issues, set your phone to Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your phone but whilst it's powering up, keep the 'Volume Down' button held un tile you reach the home screen. If done correctly, Safe Mode will be displayed in the bottom left corner. To exit Safe Mode, simply restart your phone as normal. If your phone is fine in Safe Mode, then it will be a case of process of elmination and deleting your apps one by one. Hope this helps!

I'm having this problem I dont have any 3rd party camera apps??

First Poster

As "LiamOld" already wrote, no additional Camera-Apps on my s9+, still the zoom gets stuck past 1.5x magnification.

Edit: works in safe-mode

Looking foreward to a solve for us

TracyR Moderator

Hey @IIINoLimitsIII!

If you're camera is working as it should in Safe Mode, then this means that a third party app is causing the issue.

It might not necessarily be a camera app, it could be an app that has a camera feature built in in the way that Facebook or Instagram do. 

My advice would be to remove your most recently installed apps until you find the one causing the issue. 

:womanhappy: 

Sherlock 2.jpg
Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

My camera has never worked properly and suffered from exactly the zoom errors described in this thread.  Before I tried Safe Mode as recommended, I had a quick look at my apps to find any obvious third-party candidates.  I uninstalled 'Barcode Scanner' and 'SnapBizCard'.  They were a couple of old apps I had used years ago and were transferred via SmartSwitch into my new S9+

Result?  Fixed!!

Thanks to you guys, I can now give this camera a real stretch.

I've just had same issue (even when pressing the x2 button) the camera would freeze. If i zoomed out it was ok.

I booted in Safe mode and it worked fine.

power off/restart as it turns on hold thr volume down key.

i then exited safe mode, went into the apps in my phone. Found the 'Camera' app and hit force stop... it automatically starts..

working again.

maybe a bug?

Top Liked Authors