Support

Open search

Region Unlock question

SOLVED
Explorer

I recently purchased a Galaxy S9 phone from Europe and has my European country SIM card. I am planning to take the phone with me to the USA. The phone is Region Locked and requires to make and receive calls for 5 to 10 minutes using my local European country SIM. My question is, are these 5 to 10 minute calls need to be one SINGLE continous call or over a period of time until the 5 to 10 minute mark is reached?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Superuser I
Superuser I

Typically a 5 minute call using the SIM of the country the phone was released in is enough. 

However to be safe I always suggest making x3 five minute calls which can be one after the other.    

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

5 REPLIES 5
Superuser I
Superuser I

Typically a 5 minute call using the SIM of the country the phone was released in is enough. 

However to be safe I always suggest making x3 five minute calls which can be one after the other.    

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Explorer

I know that making these calls need to have my local country SIM, I understand that part.

My question was,  are these 5 to 10 minute calls need to be one SINGLE continous call or over a period of time until the 5 to 10 minute mark is reached?

Will calls need to be outgoing only or incoming calls on local sim card will work?

AndrewL Moderator
@itsonlyme: As far as I'm aware it doesn't need to be one single call and it can be cumulative, as long as the total call time is around 10 minutes. @RJRoxx: Calls need to be outgoing in order for the process to work

Hi there, 

I purchase a Samsung J6 from India. The box clearly mentioned "FOR INDIAN SIM ONLY". 

I opened the phone in India and inserted an Indian sim. In India , I spoke to friends to ensure 5 minutes plus usage in India to ensure activation. I spoke for 30 Minutes.s

When i reached Nigeria  and inserted a Nigeria sim (GLO-Nigeria and Airtel-Nigeria) the phone said  SIM LOCKED. ENTER PUK. The PUK didnt work.

The final solution that was tested earlier also-

Being in Nigeria, I inserted the Indian sim card under International Roaming. It showed up instantly since it was made for that. Using the India sim , I tried using the phone for 5 min and 10 seconds. I called the Airtel-Nigeria helpline 121. Kept on pressing IVRS commands to ensure the call continues for 5 minutes+. Although i got a littled hit coz of international roaming charges.

After the 5min call. i removed the Indian sim and inserted the Nigerian sim and BINGO...it showed up..

Try this...it will always work ;-)

Thanks

Top Liked Authors