Support

Open search

Region Unlock question

SOLVED
Explorer

I recently purchased a Galaxy S9 phone from Europe and has my European country SIM card. I am planning to take the phone with me to the USA. The phone is Region Locked and requires to make and receive calls for 5 to 10 minutes using my local European country SIM. My question is, are these 5 to 10 minute calls need to be one SINGLE continous call or over a period of time until the 5 to 10 minute mark is reached?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Superuser I
Superuser I

Typically a 5 minute call using the SIM of the country the phone was released in is enough. 

However to be safe I always suggest making x3 five minute calls which can be one after the other.    

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

11 REPLIES 11
Superuser I
Superuser I

Typically a 5 minute call using the SIM of the country the phone was released in is enough. 

However to be safe I always suggest making x3 five minute calls which can be one after the other.    

Current Phone ~

Explorer

I know that making these calls need to have my local country SIM, I understand that part.

My question was,  are these 5 to 10 minute calls need to be one SINGLE continous call or over a period of time until the 5 to 10 minute mark is reached?

Will calls need to be outgoing only or incoming calls on local sim card will work?

AndrewL Moderator
@itsonlyme: As far as I'm aware it doesn't need to be one single call and it can be cumulative, as long as the total call time is around 10 minutes. @RJRoxx: Calls need to be outgoing in order for the process to work

Hi there, 

I purchase a Samsung J6 from India. The box clearly mentioned "FOR INDIAN SIM ONLY". 

I opened the phone in India and inserted an Indian sim. In India , I spoke to friends to ensure 5 minutes plus usage in India to ensure activation. I spoke for 30 Minutes.s

When i reached Nigeria  and inserted a Nigeria sim (GLO-Nigeria and Airtel-Nigeria) the phone said  SIM LOCKED. ENTER PUK. The PUK didnt work.

The final solution that was tested earlier also-

Being in Nigeria, I inserted the Indian sim card under International Roaming. It showed up instantly since it was made for that. Using the India sim , I tried using the phone for 5 min and 10 seconds. I called the Airtel-Nigeria helpline 121. Kept on pressing IVRS commands to ensure the call continues for 5 minutes+. Although i got a littled hit coz of international roaming charges.

After the 5min call. i removed the Indian sim and inserted the Nigerian sim and BINGO...it showed up..

Try this...it will always work ;-)

Thanks

First Poster

Hi I bought an s9 as new from Jumia Nigeria and it seems it was already new, I found out traces of root and it was a us variant instead of and international variant so I wanted to upgrade to pie and flashed a new firmware using Odin and after, I wasn't able to use any Nigerian sim card, it keeps showing emergency calls only on the notification bar and "not registered on network" in dialler app, I don't know if it's region locked please help, and I flashed and unbranded/unlocked xaa firmware on the phone, and previously,before I flashed it, I was able to use Nigerian Sims.

Superuser I
Superuser I

If it has traces of root then it's not a new phone as they are not rooted out of the box. That has to be imposed by the owner. 

If you've bought the phone privately and there's a no service now showing the phone may be imei blocked by the original owner due to a claim of a lost / stolen phone.

The region lock is to stop grey imports.

Usually a call of at least 10 minutes needs to be made using a local sim card to a local number on the country of origin for the region lock to be removed.

However it has been known for Samsung Customer services to help with removing the region lock remotely.   

Current Phone ~

First Poster
But the thing is that I can still check imei number, it shows, can it still be blocked by the former user
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

In short..... yes

Current Phone ~

Top Liked Authors