Support

Open search

Phone doesn't get updates

First Poster

HelloScreenshot_20190110-231859_Software update.jpgStill stuck on August security patch

Hello, while I was checking for updates seeing the news about one ui, I realised its been months since I received any updated. I'm still stuck on the August patch, battery is a problem with it dying when my phone reaches 6 or 7pc or recently even at 18%. I moved from India to Ireland in September and did a factory reset after inserting an Irish sim since it wanted me to do a factory reset. So what's happening to my device? I've been checking everyday and there's no one ui update either. Can Samsung help me? 

10 REPLIES
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @darks619

As the phone was purchased from India it will still be dependent on India sending out the updates to your phone.

May I assume it was bought sim free ?

In regards to the battery then if nothing is being highlighted in the battery stats in the phone then a good troubleshooting tip is to put the phone in Safe Mode  Which turns off all the downloaded apps etc and leaves the stock ones working which if the battery then is normal you know it's a rogue app. Come out of Safe Mode and start deleting your most recent apps one at a time.

You could also try a Samsung Service  Centre for a diagnostic.

Can you check what csc code it has by downloading the phoneinfo app from Playstore as it'll show the csc code there along with other info.

You could also consider putting a custom rom on the phone to put the BTU csc code on so updates come direct from Samsung however before doing this I'd urge you to learn about the pros and cons of doing so.

Installing a Custom Rom is at the sole discretion of the owner of the phone being fully aware of potential implications.

I do not endorse performing such a process and take no responsibility for any negative outcome.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster
Thanks so much for the reply bandofbrothers, yes I bought it sim free. When I bought my sim from Tesco it mentioned something about a csc change and that I had to do a factory reset. I called Samsung Ireland and they said I should receive updates from India, told them I haven't been getting any from August they said they can't do anything... I don't want to try custom roms yet, thought someone at Samsung could be an expert and help but yeah.. As for the battery I'll do that now
First Poster

Downloaded the phone info app and under csc code

Original csc code and firmware csc code fields are blank. Active csc code is xeu 

Superuser I
Superuser I

Xeu typically means a Samsung phone that's unlocked but not supplied directly by Samsung.

Btu is an unlocked phone supplied directly by Samsung.

Current Phone ~

Superuser I
Superuser I

@darks619 wrote:
Thanks so much for the reply bandofbrothers, yes I bought it sim free. When I bought my sim from Tesco it mentioned something about a csc change and that I had to do a factory reset. I called Samsung Ireland and they said I should receive updates from India, told them I haven't been getting any from August they said they can't do anything... I don't want to try custom roms yet, thought someone at Samsung could be an expert and help but yeah.. As for the battery I'll do that now

A Factory reset would only take the phone back to the last successful firmware update.

It wouldn't change the csc code.

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware and what you've been told that Samsung cannot do as you've asked is correct.

This is the downside to grey imports i.e. phones being bought and used in the country it wasn't released or intended to be used permanently in.

Current Phone ~

First Poster

Wtf.. I bought it directly from Samsung 

Spoke to Samsung they tell me to contact tesco, contacted tesco they said contact Samsung... It's confusing. What do you think I should do? 

Superuser I
Superuser I

@darks619 wrote:

Wtf.. I bought it directly from Samsung 

Spoke to Samsung they tell me to contact tesco, contacted tesco they said contact Samsung... It's confusing. What do you think I should do? 

Please clarify which outlet did you buy it from in India?

For example sometime ago in the UK I bought my Samsung Galaxy s7 edge from a Samsung Experience Store in the UK and it had the XEU CSC code because in reality it was really Carphone Warehouse that actually owned these stores even tho the shop said Samsung and the employees uniforms were blue Samsung tops but the receipt i.e. got for the phone said Carphone Warehouse.

This has now changed as Samsung bought the Samsung Experience Stores from Carphone Warehouse. 

When Samsung sell a phone directly from their online store or from a Samsung Experience Store it has the BTU csc code on it.

Xeu are unlocked Samsung phones sourced from other suppliers and not directly from Samsung as far as I'm aware.

Current Phone ~

Superuser I
Superuser I

To add Tesco have nothing to do with this as they have only supplied you the sim card and network connection and Not the actual phone.

If it had been supplied by a network then it would be network locked in the first place and have the networks version of firmware on it.

Current Phone ~

Highlighted
First Poster

i bought it directly from samsung experience, in india. and im pretty sure everything was normal like the csc code back in india. when i purchased the tesco sim it asked me to reset as it had to change the csc code

Top Liked Authors