Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One UI Feedback

(Topic created on: 21-11-2018 10:45 PM)
Bradleigh
Voyager
Options

Hi all, Just asking people to possibly put some feedback for the new One UI..

IF you have it on your device...

Edit/Update your post when you possibly find something. 

Loving is so far, a little apple looking but hopefully that might change a little.. feels good, easier to navigate for sure & greatly improved all round.. 

Camera is awesome, to me if looks an feels much better than Oreo. 

Here are some bugs I've seen so far though..

This is what beta is for though I suppose😎

The list.....

1. When scrolling down through emojis they seem to flicker an lose there grid slot, overlapping each other as the scroll animation starts.. fast scroll shows this also slow scroll just not as much.....

Able to reproduce this Glitch

2. When camera going over x2 focus you notice the different depth on the image, quite off putting.....

Able to reproduce this Glitch.. maybe normal??  

3. When my S9+ is locked & you wake ul device to swipe down & say enable aeroplane mode, when you have to unlock the device the top of the screen to confirm it.. upon where the notification/date/battery/clock icons stays white background for several seconds after unlock and enabling/disabling something.....

Able to reproduce this Glitch

4. When closing fb messenger active chat heads, I get a weird screen flicker partially on my screen, on homepage for less than 0.5s
Multiple coloured lines from left to right.. different pixels each time......
Able to reproduce this Glitch, maybe messenger issue but was not present in oreo 8.0

5. Only happened once, but went into notifications through settings & then when I clicked show all from past 7 days, when I first scrolled through the list of apps it was a double image that I was scrolling/pulling down, above list of apps I seen original. it pulled that image down an didn't scroll properly...... 
Not able to reproduce the glitch

Will update as I progress..

140 REPLIES 140
AliceVonderlust
Journeyman
Options

If you disable the gesture, then the app switcher will not work anymore. The only way I know of is to install gboard to fix the extra space issue. Do what you will, but I'm just trying to help.

0 Likes
Scooter89
Pioneer
Options
Have nav buttons on, they're on screen and it's just bloody horrible. Have them off and you've got stupid lines at the bottom of the screen to show where to swipe. I have both these options off as I this is how I preferred it on the old software. Buttons off screen out the way. Mines has been off since I done the software update yesterday as I cannot stand the horrific buttons on the screen and my gestures have been working perfectly for recent, home and back.

0 Likes
iBeef
First Poster
Options

@Scooter89 wrote:
Have nav buttons on, they're on screen and it's just bloody horrible. Have them off and you've got stupid lines at the bottom of the screen to show where to swipe. I have both these options off as I this is how I preferred it on the old software. Buttons off screen out the way. Mines has been off since I done the software update yesterday as I cannot stand the horrific buttons on the screen and my gestures have been working perfectly for recent, home and back.

This is something I hope they don't change. It seems they've put everything above the nav bar which for me is great. I use an app called fluid navigation gestures which adds really good gestures to the phone ridding the need of the nav bar completely. To do it basically there is a software feature that pushes the nav bar below the screen hiding it permanently.

On oreo this meant the edge panels and screenshot tools sat below the screen which was annoying but a worthy sacrifice for the gesture usage. However for whatever reason they've done it like this because everything sits above the nav bar it's perfected my experience with the phone. Personally I think gboard completely eradicates the need for Samsung keyboard, try it, you'll never look back. If you hate nav buttons as much as I do give fng a go, improves the phone ten fold and might solve your Samsung keyboard issue.

0 Likes
AliceVonderlust
Journeyman
Options

Like I said before, if you hide the gesture buttons you won't be able to quickly switch between two apps.

iBeef
First Poster
Options
@AliceVonderlust wrote:

Like I said before, if you hide the gesture buttons you won't be able to quickly switch between two apps.

Fluid navigation gestures also allows this with plenty of other customisation from a quick flick to a hold to define multiple custom gestures.

Screenshot_20190210-153407_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes
rrroulc
First Poster
Options

I need time AM PM. 

0 Likes
AliceVonderlust
Journeyman
Options

@iBeef : So you have to install another app to make this work? No thanks

0 Likes
rrroulc
First Poster
Options

And the swipe left or right features to change page in contact and gallery is gone!

0 Likes
Gbr
Explorer
Options

I've been using Pie/OneUI for about a month now, had purchased the S9+ not two weeks before that. I have to say, my overall first impression has not changed in this time: it feels half-baked and it looks simply bad; to me, Oreo in less than half that time felt more intuitive and came off as more modern. 

The awful off-white / light grey / dark grey colour scheme with the blue highlight feels forced, not sure why Samsung felt the need to keep this at all. As an option, it would be fine, but having this as the default system theme is just... weird. More akin to cheap plastic phones of old. I know One is supposed to be an all new skin, but it's more like change for change's sake in this regard, and not at all anything that would be a natural evolution of TW or Samsung Experience. While it may fit the overall design language of the appropriate Pixel generation, it's completely detached from anything of Samsung's. And sadly enough, this alien colour scheme carries on to much of the rest of the UI as well. In contrast to this, the icons are all colourful... yet at the same time, viewed on their own, they're kind of dull, flat and uninteresting, unlike the old ones. This again begs the question: why was the change needed? And again, it's system default, there's no "Oreo" theme to go back to if one so wishes. I'm also not sure what happened to Night Mode's scheduler, from what I heard, it was in the beta, and went poof for the final release. It would be nice to have.

To move on from looks to functionality... While I'm sure many enjoy the gestures, personally I find them to be a nuisance. Which is bad, because the only other option if one doesn't like them is the permanent navigation bar, which is still too thick, still has a light background more often than not, and still cannot be customised at all beyond switching the places of the recents/back buttons. Why did gestures need to replace Oreo's hidden navbar option? Why couldn't they be a third option? The overlay was a perfect compromise of having navigation available when needed and not taking up screen real estate when not needed, easy to access with a simple flick from anywhere from the bottom of the screen without mistakenly moving to home instead of recents or the other way around. What's the point of an infinity display if a part of it has to be permanently sacrificed for the navbar, unless we want the risk of flicking from the wrong spot and getting to recents instead of home (or the other way around)? By the way recent apps: can we please get list view back? Not only is this card view highly inefficient when running multiple apps, the way it automatically slides whatever I just sent to the background to the side and brings a previous app to center is utterly maddening, I still couldn't get used to it, making me switch to apps I don't want all the time. Also, Game Tools are now only available from the status bar if we have hidden gestures enabled - I thought the point of One UI was to make everything easily accessible with a thumb on a giant screen? It's not just this bit that's questionable, by the way, there are more than enough lists that start at the top of the screen, never reaching the bottom of it (so there's not a whole lot of items to scroll through) - yet at the same time, other elements like progress indicators have moved all the way to the absolute bottom of the screen? Why?

In addition to all this, Bixby is still here. It's still here and it's still bad, and now the button can't even be switched off, because the only option we get is to pick whether we want to open it with one or two key presses? For the love everything, stop forcing such subpar service onto people, especially on your most expensive, most premium devices. It's practically the epitome of user unfriendliness

All in all, I'm not convinced. One or two details, the aims and goals of One UI are noble enough, but the execution seems to have fallen short and in my opinion ended up being more of an overhaul that simply wasn't needed and is not at home on what constitutes Samsung's own hardware design. I'd rather have Pie with Oreo's Samsung Experience skin, please.

Scooter89
Pioneer
Options

@AliceVonderlust wrote:

I'm managing to switch between apps using the gestures 🤔

There's just some things that should've been left alone. It doesn't feel like Samsung anymore, it's more like a Pixel 🤔

0 Likes