Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting android pie

(Topic created on: 07-06-2019 07:45 PM)
MigGon1994
Apprentice
Options

So my problem is I know android pie been around for a few months, my phone was imported to my country from the u.s with the carrier at&t and well now i have my own carrier from my country and i know pie is out here because in my country i see it and well samsung tweeted out that it came a few months ago. 

My question is it possible to manually install the update? Like download the firmware and install it myself instead of checking the software update since its a no go. 

9 REPLIES 9
AndrewL
Options
@MigGon1994: As your device was intended for use outside your current region you won't be able to update it due to software variances that exist from region to region. You may wish to try Smart Switch on your home computer, available for PC or MAc via the link below, however I can't guarantee that this will work.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch

Once installed, connect your phone via USB cable to your computer and look for an update prompt on the home screen next to your device details. If you don't see a prompt then the update is sadly not available in your region.
0 Likes
MigGon1994
Apprentice
Options

What if im able to go to that country, will i be able to download it there? But ill be using my own sim from my country

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
The Smart Switch approach would work in the US, however you would need a local US network SIM to complete an update over the air via WiFi.
0 Likes
MigGon1994
Apprentice
Options
What if im able to go to that country with my own sim card will i be able to download it there if i connect to wifi?
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
No, you would need a US network SIM if the device was originally from the US.
0 Likes
Michael3739
Journeyman
Options

How about unlocked phones? Can I update my brazil region phone in usa?

0 Likes
CarloL
Hotshot
Options

If the phone was manufactured in USA and you are currently living in Brasil, then going back to the country of the manufacturer and updating it, should push through the latest update.

In the same way as with USA, an unlocked phone manufactured in Brasil may not receive further updates in the USA, due to the different manufacturer pieces the phone is made of and different software versions released.

0 Likes
MHXP
Student
Options

It's really frustrating and doesn't make any sense to me, and I see no valid reason for that.  I have trusted your company to buy a smartphone from, so I should receive the full service no matter where I'm located, in either of the 2 locations (Updates should follow at least the play store country region), We are in 2021, do you think that people stay fixed to their locations for the life span of any phones?! .. People travel for work. study or pleasure.

MHXP
Student
Options

Since the main differences in these devices are; 1- Network bands support and antennas. 2- Processors (but it's a compatibility and drivers issues). I fully understand that devices are only equipped with networks antennas that are supported in their selling region and there is nothing to do to change that, but what's the harm of updating them with the new drivers?! 

and if that was the reason for not getting updated, why won't you update the android system and to the new UI?!

I think you guys are confused between stolen devices and people relocated with their phones somewhere else!

I'm a Samsung loyal customer and I seriously hate to see that nonsense going for years without being fixed!