Support

Open search

New phone required what to do?

First Poster

Hi,

I have a dilemma as to whether I should get the Galaxy S8 (£305) or the S9+ (£460) - I previously had the S6 which I was ver happy wth until I dropped it and now it won't turn on. I have a galaxy watch which I use alot.

£155 is a big difference, I can afford it but I also believe strongly in value for money- will i enjoy the bigger  screen size - i imagine not great in your jeans pocket but great as a satnav in car and when on holiday for the only time I use a camera on the phone really.

What would you choose ?

5 REPLIES 5
Superuser I
Superuser I

The s9+ is more future proofed with more recent chipsets etc, but the s8 is a nice phone too to which I've owned until recently when I traded it in back to Samsung for part payment for the Note 9.

I'd suggest to visit a Samsung Experience Store and or Highstreet Store Network Store or Independent such as CPW and have a play with both models.

The s10 is due out soon so maybe the models your looking at also may drop in price.

Enjoy your journey.     

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Navigator

The S9 and S9+ are available from QVC the shopping channel.  They're more expensive but you get 30 days to do what you want with them and can return them at the end of that time if you don't get on with them.  My advice would be to go for as much memory as you can.  The S9+ they sell has 128GB and are available at:

https://www.qvcuk.com/catalog/search.html?keyword=s9

Superuser I
Superuser I
All options are great - But if I would purchase a new phone right now I would go for the S9(+). Basically its the same as the S8 but with a better chipset and what is more important: Samsung learned from the issues with the S8(+) and improved those things in the 9 series.

That and the sound and camera is a lot better (Especially the sound!)

That and the S9 will get longer feature updates.
First Poster

Thanks for all your info but after much testing I have discovered the Xiaomi  MI8 which is faster with snapdragon845 6gb ram 128gb memory and with you can get the googlepixel camera software which is amazing. Do a real world test with a friend and he's pissed as he has 9+ and can't belive how my new phone is faster and pics are better and phone is more than 1/2 the price - 95% of electronics in my home are samsung and this phone even works better with my galaxy watch - i know ridiculous!

Superuser I
Superuser I

Great to hear you've settled on what ticks your wants and needs boxes @Daren2772 

Personally I'll be looking at the Samsung Note 10 to see if it warrants replacing the Note 9 I'm using now.

The camera app and quality of pictures it takes is more than adequate for my usual point and clock style of taking the odd photo of that special moment.

Take care.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Top Liked Authors