Support

Open search

Increase font on messages app

Apprentice

Hi many samsung phones over the years but on my new s9 I can't find a way to increase the font size on text messages. No option in the settings and no matter what font size I choose on the phone main menu the message font stays the same  anyone help?

47 REPLIES 47
Explorer
Do you mean to view them? I just 'pinch out the screen until I'm at the right size (like zooming into a pic)
Apprentice
No going back to my s5 there's always been a way to increase the font size either by pressing the volume key or later by a menu option in the app settings. It increases the font for reading and while you are typing. When you have terrible eyesight like me it's a real selling point. I have had to download Chomp SMS which I like but would rather use the stock app
First Poster

I'm having the same issue on my S9+. Pinching out enlarges the text only for that viewing session of that conversation. Once you go out of the message and go back into it or into another conversation the text is tiny again.

Apprentice

Yep. I thought this was the solution at first. What's really annoying is that if you increase the font size and screen zoom through the display settings, it clearly shows the message don't at the top of the screen getting bigger. When you go into the app the size is still small no matter how much you enlarge it through the settings. I am now using another SMS app. 

First Poster

I did a chat session with a Samsung tech. If you go to Settings> then in the Search field type "Font" you'll see Font and screen zoom come up. If you click on that option you can change the font there and click "Apply". However, you must immediately restart the phone. The changes will apply then. However, it affects more than just messaging, which is stupid. I think it's a lot of fuss to go through and gave the feedback that pinching out in a message conversation should be sufficient to change the font size in the messaging app. It shouldn't be treated like some major system setting change. Anyway, thought I'd share. 

Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. Tried it just now and the text size on messaging is still small after a restart. Going to stick with Textra which I downloaded and has a lot more options. 

First Poster

I was able to increase the font in messaging by increasing screen zoom and font size as suggested without restarting my phone.  But doing this increases the font on other screens and then, at times, I am unable to read the prompts or even reach the prompts on some of my webpages.  This is just unacceptable.  Why would Samsung think this is sufficient?

Apprentice

Yes there has always been a way to increase the font size for messages only. It's one of the reasons I have bought Samsung phones. Can't think of a reason why they would remove this option other than copying Apple. Try Textra as I have done. 

I tried to but it was terrible and no bigger. I have downloaded the app Textra as you recommended...brilliant...thanks for help🤗🤗
Top Liked Authors