Support

Open search

I hate the new update for S9 - Android Pie

Explorer

Please feel free to tag on to this Twitter post.

https://twitter.com/ps4matt/status/1109930560724430848?s=19

Power in numbers 

Apprentice

@Maxozone wrote:
jfgratton

Apprentice

@Maxozone wrote:
There is a way to go back however it voids the warranty and is only for 'Techy" people. It envolves utising a program that I am told is used by Samsung for flashing new stuff into a phone, and the OREO program is available from another site.

Please do not. Really. There's a fuse on the phone's board that will get burned; this e-fuse is part of the security setup called Knox. The phone uses this to see if it was tampered with and thus voiding all kinds of software installs, updates, not to say waranties. This is the main reason why I'm not doing it. My Samsung Gear S3 Fronteer smartwatch wouldn't work anymore with the tampered device. Otherwise I'd have never bothered and fixed the phone myself.

In any way... it's been almost a full month for me here, I've ordered an iPhone XS that I'll receive next week. I'm done with Samsung.

--Jeff

Sorry, but this is not correct. Downgrading does not trip the fuse or cause problems with Knox - I've downgraded multiple S9 phones and blocked the updates with a package disabler, the warranty is still intact (Void status = 0x0000), it also doesn't block future updates, I could return back to Pie if I was stupid enough.

Again, downgrading does not void the warranty and isn't even for "techy" people. You will only have problems if you root the phone at the same time. Which we're not doing here, so even things like my S3 Frontier works fine with my downgraded phone, as well as the other phones I've downgraded.

In the future though, AVB2 will be enforced on phones that come stock with Android Pie and will make downgrading tricky, but not impossible. That isn't the case here for the S9 that came stock with Oreo.

First Poster
I agree with that. Also now using the camera you have to switch form image to video when you had two different buttons in the same interface before.
The open apps interface is no longer easy to use since one way you close and the other you open. It wasn't a good upgrade. By the way they dindn't mention those improvements in the upgrade info

Highlighted

I agree This update is totally whack. Now I can't use my Beats headphones with my S8 anymore and my Spotify is poked and keeps cutting in and out. I never had any problems prior to this completely useless upgrade. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Explorer

I've got the programs. But could do with a walkthrough..

@Goldfire wrote:

@Maxozone wrote:
jfgratton

Apprentice

@Maxozone wrote:
There is a way to go back however it voids the warranty and is only for 'Techy" people. It envolves utising a program that I am told is used by Samsung for flashing new stuff into a phone, and the OREO program is available from another site.

Please do not. Really. There's a fuse on the phone's board that will get burned; this e-fuse is part of the security setup called Knox. The phone uses this to see if it was tampered with and thus voiding all kinds of software installs, updates, not to say waranties. This is the main reason why I'm not doing it. My Samsung Gear S3 Fronteer smartwatch wouldn't work anymore with the tampered device. Otherwise I'd have never bothered and fixed the phone myself.

In any way... it's been almost a full month for me here, I've ordered an iPhone XS that I'll receive next week. I'm done with Samsung.

--Jeff

Sorry, but this is not correct. Downgrading does not trip the fuse or cause problems with Knox - I've downgraded multiple S9 phones and blocked the updates with a package disabler, the warranty is still intact (Void status = 0x0000), it also doesn't block future updates, I could return back to Pie if I was stupid enough.

Again, downgrading does not void the warranty and isn't even for "techy" people. You will only have problems if you root the phone at the same time. Which we're not doing here, so even things like my S3 Frontier works fine with my downgraded phone, as well as the other phones I've downgraded.

In the future though, AVB2 will be enforced on phones that come stock with Android Pie and will make downgrading tricky, but not impossible. That isn't the case here for the S9 that came stock with Oreo.

Observer

I AGREE!!! Its disturbingly awful. Everything looks SO childish now and I especially hate what's happened to the fingerprint scanning and the time and date on the lock screen (SD: Why put the time on the left hand side). 🤔 It also feels incredibly slow when clicking on something, since it now has to light up first before it takes you to what you want. CHANGE IT BACK PLEASE!! 😭

Explorer

What's happened to the notifications for texts? I no longer get any notification whatsoever.Pre-update the screen would wake up and a single line of the incoming text would be displayed. It was fantastic for verification codes and other short messages. Now  I no longer get any notification whatsoever. It's not just the inconvenience of having to open the phone and check for verification codes - I'm missing messages from clients. Last week I lost out on a contract because when the text came in there was no notification, nor any counter on the message icon, and I didn't spot the message until too late.

Samsung you're costing my business money. Sort it out.

First Poster

Couldn't agree with you more my friend, the whole reason I switched to android is coz iPhone looked like a childs phone with icons and now Samsung have gone the same route!!! Retract the update samsung or at least allow users to go back to previous version!! 

To add some of the apps and themes dont support the new update so we are stuck with the toy phone look! Sort it out Samsung 

Navigator

marijuana_smoke_comp.jpegProgrammers Under the Influence

Observer

While on Oreo, the camera and its features was the best on the market! Now the update on Pie made it a ***** worse than any other phones. It is a BIG SHAME that the new SCENE ENHANCER is a ***** compared to what is was on Oreo. SAMSUNG PLEASE ROLLBACK THE FREAKING CAMERA UPDATE ASAP! The way it is now makes me want TO SHOVE IT UP MY ***, freaking software engineers! I want it back dammit!

Top Liked Authors