Support

Open search

How to disable charging connected USB device (S9)

Highlighted
First Poster

I have been battling this for over two weeks now and haven't found a solution. I wonder if you have. Can transfer from my phone to USB disk because of this.

Highlighted
First Poster

@PSte wrote:

Hi. when I connect USB flash drive to my Samsung S9, phone starts to charge this flash drive:

"Andriod system - USB charging connected device"

I am not able to turn this off in any way. This happens when I connect USB flash drive through USB adapter included in package or even USB C drive (dual USB A/C micro SD card reader). During the period it is connected the flash drive gets quite hot. I just don't understand why phone wants to charge a flash drive. Is there a way to turn it off? Thanks.

Model: SM-G960F

Android: 8.0.0

Samsung Experience: 9.0

Mine is set to MTP and I don't have the problem you are experiencing.

Highlighted
Observer

I have the same problem on Note 8 transfering phone data to the Note10 using cable. Note8 started discharge  like crazy even having less charged battery. Nonsense. How switch it off??And how they are deciding  who charging whom??

Highlighted
First Poster

How to disable android usb connection. This came on my phone on last update. I can only charge to 82% and wireless charger gets very hot. I have only charged with wireless pad

Highlighted
First Poster

SnakeGold posted a couple times in this thread to say that this issue has needed to be addressed by Samsung since 2018, but they haven't done so yet. He's right. I recently had to resign myself to the fact that changing USB configuration in Developer settings on my Note 9 essentially does nothing.

Highlighted
Explorer
The issue still exists with One UI 2.0 (android 10) ?
Highlighted
Apprentice

are you asking because you know that samsung have fixed it or hope that they've fixed it ?

no reply from Samsung means I'm not trying it with my own USB drives just yet in case they fry.

btw: i just signed in to post this on my 'old'  S9 and usual browser after the upgrade and Samsung are 'spamming' me with sign-on on a new device messages !

Highlighted

This is complete BS. It's definitely not fixed. I postponed an update for a few days - I updated the new software then about 1-2 days later... if that... I was charging my phone late at night... it stopped at 60% ( I assumed the charger fell out of the wall so I didnt mess with it. ) I let it die to about 20% as usual while I was using my phone, then went to plug my phone and and noticed the charger didnt fall out of the wall. It wouldn't charge at all, obviously realizing that it could been the charger... I tried FOUR other chargers, INCLUDING the old school android charger w/ the port that comes with the phone. None work. I gave up trying the actual charger as I spent hours trying to fix this bs. However, I am capable of charging my phone... I have to use my computer, plug the cable in.... plug the  adaptor in & use an old android style charger ( Im not familiar with the names ) and then I have to mess with it for like 20-30 minutes... turn phone off... on..off on... change MITI to w.e else 100x... change it back.... restart... I have got it to work once without restarting.... and just changing settings/replugging it 100x and I have got it to charge by restarting my phone twice... I turn off the phone, unplug charger.... turn on phone ( it wont turn on with charger into the phone now since this happened. ) and while its loading up on the starting screen.. I quickly plug charger in.. once screen comes on... I hit the power button to hide the screen... and I pray to the gods it charges. That has worked twice. lmao. Sooooo DEFINITELY a samsung problem and DEFINITELY something they clearly dont care to fix. It's BSx100000000.... I been googling for 3 days trying every method imaginable.  

Top Liked Authors