Support

Open search

Grey photos

First Poster

Hi can anyone help. My photos in gallery are just grey boxes with an i in the middle. Have I lost my pictures. I have the S9. Thanks in advance 

13 REPLIES 13
Apprentice

Hi, mine are the same. I've lost all photos of my granddaughter when she was born, pictures I'll never get back. I'm also seeing some of the picture where just a portion of the picture is grey but then there are green & blue lines across the pictures as well. The phone doesn't even give me chance to upload them to my laptop, you can see what's happening from the thumbnail picture. I've been trying to get Samsung to sort this for me since I had the darn phone a year ago so it would be great if anyone could give me any advice on this.

CarlH Moderator

Hi @MommaT. Do you also have the Galaxy S9? Are you using the Gallery to view your pictures or the Google Photos app? Do you have an SD card installed? 

CarlH Moderator

Hi @Ninanoo Are you using the Gallery to view your pictures or the Google Photos app? Do you have an SD card installed? If you log on to your Google account using your browser, can you see your pictures there?

Explorer

Does anything happen when you click on the grey photo? Some sort of message?

Sure this is something to do with Google Photos or SD card related. It rings a bell.

Apprentice

No, nothing happens, no messages or error files for me to even know where to start getting help. The photos are just as grey or colour as the thumbnail, either way it ruins the photo. I did notice one thing though, if I view a particular photo & it's ok, I've WhatsApp or emailed it to someone (usually my daughter) to see if it's ok on their phone (She also has the s9) & when she sends it back to me it's perfect, the same if anyone sends me pictures, photos sent to me don't go grey. Unfortunately I don't know if the photo is going to go grey or colours until I view it & once it's gone grey then it's lost forever. It doesn't even give me chance to save to my laptop. I also forgot to mention that this happens wether I save to sd or the device. I've had Samsung phones pretty much since they first came out but this has really blown my confidence, mainly because I get no reply to my pleas & calls for help & these very precious momentous photos are gone & have been lost forever.

Apprentice

@CarlH wrote:

Hi @MommaT. Do you also have the Galaxy S9? Are you using the Gallery to view your pictures or the Google Photos app? Do you have an SD card installed? 

Hi, yes I have the S9, I use the gallery to view pics & also have an sd card although the pics are saved to the phone at present. I've seen posts recommending sd encryption but I'm worried I'll lose what's already on there so any help would be much appreciated

CarlH Moderator

Are your pictures still greyed out in the gallery, @MommaT

First Poster

Can anyone help? Grey photos using Samsung galaxy halo. Nearly half my gallery corrupted. I use both internal storage and sd. Will not open with pre  installed samsung software or 3rd party. Will not attach and look normal in text or email. Grey, gray GREAT!!! Thanks

Screenshot_20181212-110843.pngSome photos will open if only patly grey

Screenshot_20181212-110901.pngOthers will not open

Screenshot_20181212-110913.pngReplete throughout my gallery

Screenshot_20181212-110906.pngWhat do i do?

Hey I have Samsung galaxy M30 i just updated it and after update all my pictures are grey with error symbol . All the pictures are stored in sd card and i have google photos, the photos are even not showing in file manager

Top Liked Authors