Support

Open search

Got One UI beta but cannot register Samsung account for the programme

First Poster

I have bought a 2nd hand S9+ in Germany, it has One UI beta installed. Now I want to give feedback via the Samsung Members app, this is not possible since my samsung account is not member of the One UI beta programme (the samsung account of the previous owner is).

I have tried the regular programme registration via the Samsung Members app (via the notices screen), there it says "OneUI Beta programme already joined."

Any idea how I can join the programme with One UI beta already installed?

7 REPLIES 7
TracyR Moderator

Hey @tommetje

The One UI Beta is linked to the Samsung account, did the seller remove their account before you obtained the phone?

I'd recommend getting in touch the them directly to be sure. 

Sherlock 2.jpg
Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge   

First Poster

Hi @TracyR

Thank you for your fast response!

The previous owner performed a Factory data reset before I received the phone, so no account left on the phone. Should the seller be able to remove his account somehow otherwise?

Is there a way for me to somehow connect my samsung accont to the One UI programme?

TracyR Moderator

No worries, @tommetje, it's possible that the FDR didn't completely wipe the phone, if you can get a copy of the proof of purchase you'd be able to get the phone completely flashed back to it's original state. 

You could also try restoring the phone back to the previous software using Smart Switch before attempting to install the UI again.

Sherlock 2.jpg
Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge   

First Poster

Again, thanks for your response.

This seems like quite some effort just to give some feedback

I have done a factory reset as well, so at least it happened twice. 

Just to make it clear, I do not see any data that belongs to the previous owner. I just cannot connect to the beta program of the already installed Android 9 plus One UI to my Samsung account.

It seems logical to me that a factory reset makes the phone go back to the factory state of the installed OS, which is in my case the beta version of Android 9. 

I guess that changing phone owner after having installed the beta firmware just gives this problem.

Are there any downsides that you know of not participating in the beta program? Can the old owner somehow have influence on the firm-/software on my phone?

I still receive firmware updates, so that works. I could also just wait for the non-beta version to appear.

AndrewL Moderator
Further to the advice offered by @TracyR, I recommend visiting an authorised Samsung Support Centre with your proof of purchase to enquire about reverting the phone back to its default software (Android 8). As we don't know the specifics of how the old owner joined the programme i.e. through the Members app or via a third party means, this would be the best way to bring your device up to spec.
First Poster

What are the risks of continuing to use the current firmware? Could I have real security issues?

I have had a firmware update twice already, should these updates not overwrite the old firmware? 

A visit to a Samsung support center would cost me quite some time.

Would reverting to Android 8 via Smart Switch be good enough?

Edit: I have no update button in Smart Switch, reverting this way would not work.

Thank you for you help guys!

Highlighted
Apprentice

@tommetje wrote:

I have bought a 2nd hand S9+ in Germany, it has One UI beta installed. Now I want to give feedback via the Samsung Members app, this is not possible since my samsung account is not member of the One UI beta programme (the samsung account of the previous owner is).

I have tried the regular programme registration via the Samsung Members app (via the notices screen), there it says "OneUI Beta programme already joined."

Any idea how I can join the programme with One UI beta already installed?

The previous owner performed a Factory data reset before I received the phone, so no account left on the phone. Should the seller be able to remove his account somehow otherwise?

Top Liked Authors