Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S9 region lock

(Topic created on: 26-06-2019 02:15 PM)
decisionmade
Student
Options

Hi guys,

I have unlocked galaxy s9 bought in the USA (it's said made in Korea) and will go to Japan. I'm thinking to buy a SIM card  in Japan. Although I will fly soon, I found that this phone is region locked? If so, I can't use my new SIM card there ? I read I need to call somewhere but where should I call and should I insert the new SIM card to my phone?   

Please help and advice!!

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

To remove a region lock a person should insert a local sim card from the country of origin and make at least 10 minutes of calls to a local number.

If that cannot be achieved then try ringing your countries Samsung Customer Service Department to ask if they can remove the region lock remotely.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

decisionmade
Student
Options

Is this mean that I need to call at least ten minutes call in the States using American SIM card before I go abroad?

I bought this phone in the States and live in the States.

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

To remove a region lock a person should insert a local sim card from the country of origin and make at least 10 minutes of calls to a local number.

If that cannot be achieved then try ringing your countries Samsung Customer Service Department to ask if they can remove the region lock remotely.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

If a person wants to buy a Samsung phone in one country then to use it in their own country then Yes a local sim card needs to be inserted in the phone. Then 10 minutes of calls to a local number that will then release the region lock.

Then a person should be able to use their own sim in their own country. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes