Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't search for GIFs

(Topic created on: 05-05-2018 10:17 AM)
Nm21
Explorer
Options

Hi. When using the messaging app and the default Samsung keyboard I can't seem to search through GIFs, only select ones in the categories. Why is this? It's really annoying. Screenshot attached.....Screenshot_20180505-101044_Messages.jpg

Go to solution
78 REPLIES 78
mcgrames
First Poster
Options

My keyboard layout looks identical to yours so try this..Select the attachment option and where you can chose your pics on the bottom is the gif.. click on that and it will give you a search option.My keyboard layout looks identical to yours so try this..Select the attachment option and where you can chose your pics on the bottom is the gif.. click on that and it will give you a search option.

0 Likes
Marbles
First Poster
Options

Hi so I have just switched over to the s9 and have had the same problem. Try this as it worked for me.

The smiley face that appears in the message bar where you type is what you need to select. That will take you to the smiley you may want to use. Below will be the option the select gif. Select this and search by clicking on the magnifying glass. 

It appears that the gif button on the main bit is only for trending gifs or to locate  ones that are commonly  searched for specific keywords. 

It's all a bit silly and Samsung have definitely  messed up. I hope this helps. I tried adding in screenshots but I can't seem to add images. 

0 Likes
Brandi89
First Poster
Options

In the messenger app click on the smiley face. Then click on gifs and there you should be able to search for whatever you would like 🙂 

0 Likes
Solution
Nm21
Explorer
Options

To be honest, since starting this thread a while back and despite all the best advice given, none of it worked. However Samsung updated the messaging app in December and this fixed it and since then I've had the Android Pie update and it has changed the stock messaging app and the GIF search works fine. So as far as I'm concerned the issue is fixed. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

mercenary
Journeyman
Options

What phone do you have?  Its NOT fixed on the S8 Plus. I have the latest version of 'Messages' for my device, 4.4.30.50. Also there has been no release of Android pie, at least not on Verizon for the S8 plus.

Nm21
Explorer
Options

Galaxy S9+

0 Likes
Brandi89
First Poster
Options

See the smiley face clickSee the smiley face click

Go over to GIFs and you should be able to search nowGo over to GIFs and you should be able to search now

0 Likes
CaptnYogaPants
Journeyman
Options

I don't think everyone commenting reads or sees all the previous images and posts about how many times people tried all the things and they just don't work for everyone. Maybe it's some weird software issue I don't have the tech knowledge to understand, but there are those of us here that just do not have the ability to search for gifs no matter what anyone says. The function is simply not there. I have just quit using the samsung keyboard all together and use the gboard. Not stellar but I don't have that problem or other weird hitches I had when using the samsung keyboard.

DMaestro
Student
Options

This is the solution that worked for me.  I will add I also switched to the Samsung Neural keyboard, and that worked as well. 

the Gkeyboard from bitmoji is awesome as well.

0 Likes
Lotte32
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem! So frustrating. Did you get an answer to this? Ives scrolled through replies and tried a few but nothing for me alot doesn't apply ... I have Samsung s7!x

0 Likes