Support

Open search

Call recorder

Explorer

The phone is faulty and not fit for purpose.

You would assume that feature to record calls would be available as is in any other Android phone and on the box you have not seen an information that call recording feature has been disabled / is unavailable.

Therefore this phone is not of satisfactory quality either.

If had I known that the phone doesn't have this feature I wouldn't have bought it.

If 30 days pass (within you can just reject the phone and get a refund) you have to give the retailer one opportunity to either repair or replace the phone. If an attempt to repair or replacement is unsuccessful you have a right to full refund.

Only after 6 months you have to prove that the fault (lack of call recording functionality) has been present from the start (which should be easy).

By UK law you have 6 years to claim.

This is often challenging task because companies often do everything to dismiss the claim, but this one should be easy to prove. 

I managed to get a product replaced after 4 years once (faulty headphones - inadequate materials).

Voyager

Hi Pablox thanks for posting 

This would be a bit of a grey area as the phones themselves are not faulty, upon more investigation Samsung have addered to the Google's security policy and stopped the facility on Exynos devices to be able to record. 

What the argument in my opinion would be with Samsung is that they have not notified customers in relation to this thus hiding it (one for better words) so it's selling a device without the customers knowledge that features are unavailable in this case call recording.

Threads I'm following, their is talk that Samsung are due to release a update where they provide a call recording feature directly (however it's causing them a big headache as to how they can do this on Exynos phones in Countries that it is lawful to record)

So I don't see that being anytime soon it's more likely to be a pre-installed app on new phones they release.

I urge anyone looking at buying one of these phones to carefully decide whether or not they really want to recording facility anytime soon.

If you want the S9 or S9 plus you can purchase an Asian import (like me) everything works perfectly.

Explorer

Not happy at all about this, need call recording for my job.
Had hoped to stay with carrier Rom and not root.
I take it third party Roms via twrp would be able to enable call recording
Tried reporting to carrier virgin but was beyond them.

Highlighted
Voyager

I have a update for anyone following my thread and appreciate everyone's input this is a verified statement I picked up on from Samsung (copy and paste)

In case your country permits call recording by local law, voice recording during calls will be possible via preloaded Phone > Call application in upcoming software update. For this, Samsung is reviewing each local law again and allowed countries will be categorized in the near future.

So it looks like Samsung will have some sort of App taking away from third party applications the facility to record, in a way forcing you to use their own app and it will be rather than based on their release globally with Snapdragon and Exynos but per Country as allowed by local Law.

I would like to add this is not going to be anytime soon (my opinion)

Explorer

> This would be a bit of a grey area as the phones themselves are not faulty

I would argue that they are - functionality to record calls is broken. Furthermore some S9 can record calls some don't.

It also looks like that Samsung is knowingly selling phones that are unable to record to the UK consumers (even if recording is legal in the UK) and is not clearly informing that this feature doesn't work.

I think next step could be to bring attention to some consumer organisations like Which.

This is unacceptable that UK residents are treated like second class customers.

Explorer
> In case your country permits call recording by local law, voice recording during calls will be possible via preloaded Phone > Call application in upcoming software update.

I think this is going to be illegal in European Union because it is limiting consumer choice. Companies have been given huge fines for such practices in the past. Unless Samsung thinks they can make their own laws and force people to follow them.
Apprentice

"In case your country permits call recording by local law ..." 

It is really confusing for me .

This is copy of American regulations " In the US to legally record a call you must have some sort of clearly audible noise repeat every 15 seconds such as a beep or tell the other party ahead of time you plan to record. If you use a service such as Google Voice that isn't truly a "phone call" since it uses data these laws do not apply."

So why they allow it in US but not in Europe?

Voyager

Pablox thanks for your added input I couldn't agree more with your comments.

This is a good argument and third party applications who sell apps for the purpose of recording could look at legally challenging Samsung when this update becomes available but that is the official responce at the moment 

To add 

"In case your country permits call recording by local law, voice recording during calls will be possible via preloaded Phone > Call application in upcoming software update. "

Why only on preloaded Phones > Call application!? Is Samsung honestly suggesting that they will allow users only to use Samsung apps? Good luck for the future of your smartphone sales Samsung!

"For this, Samsung is reviewing each local law again and allowed countries will be categorized in the near future."

Also not very satisfactory. Now Samsung realises that this blockage is unfair, certainly for users in most countries, it's proper response would have been:

1. Apologise to its users for causing grief and possible damage (NO prior notification)

2. Immediately (next software upate) remove all restrictions, rather then first reviewing the local law in all countries 

3. Possibly, apply the restrictions again in future updates for those countries where it is a strict legal requirement

But don't delay making this functionality available again any longer by first reviewing the local law in all countries. This is just prolonging the grief and damage for a large group of users that should not have experienced this in the first place!

Voyager
It's a good question Taradem, Samsung have lost so many customers because of this problem but with all the complaints and loss of sales they are listening but I'd like to add if you've owned a Samsung long enough you know their updates are very slow to get to the end user.
Explorer

Along with an apology for blaming Google and for taking the easy way out by removing it and not telling anyone.

If it ends up only as a preload I suppose we'll have to flash and root assuming someone uploads it.

Seen a Rom on xda with call recording for s9. Let's hope it's sorted for all quick.

Top Liked Authors