Support

Open search

Buzzing sound from headphone socket while charging if no audio playing

Explorer

I've noticed that when charging over USB with headphones connected via the headphone socket, you can hear a loud buzz if there is no audio playing.

I first thought it was whenever the audio DAC was not playing an audio stream: the buzzing disappears the instant you play any audio or any notifications play. The buzzing returns the instant the audio stops.

However, I was listening to a YouTube video earlier (https://youtu.be/b753qCxQcGw) and I noticed at 10 seconds in the the buzzing very briefly occurs - in a momentary gap between the intro and the start of the main video.

This seems to be due to null samples in the audio stream and is a reproducible behaviour. Playing the video at half or quarter speed makes it easier to notice the effect.

This is not a fault of my headphones, I'm using regularly serviced HD25 and HD650 Sennheisers.

So, from my crude tests, it seems that if the DAC is not initialized - or it is initialized but is decoding null audio samples - the design of the main board reaults in the audio output passing through electrical buzzing/humming from the charging circuit as audible interference to the analogue headphone output.

This is not very impressive design for a £700 flagship handset. Samsung, please address this.

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisM Moderator

Hi @ChrisW.

Have you tried a soft reset on the phone? To do this, press and hold the 'Power' and 'Volume Down' buttons until the phone restarts. This will end all processes and give the phone a fresh start. Let us know if this makes any difference.

Explorer
Hi Chris, yeah, tried the usual.

It seems to be a symptom of the phone's charging circuit; when initially charging at a higher current the noise is more audible. As the charge level rises and the current draw decreases, so does the noise.
DannyT Moderator
We'd recommend popping into your local Samsung Support Centre so our engineers can take a look at this one for you. You'll be able to find your closest Support Centre here: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/service-centre/.

MCU.jpg

Welcome to the Community! :smileyhappy:

Highlighted
Explorer
Update - a while back I took it in to the local support centre, engineers checked it out and went "sorry, nothing we can do". This looks like it's a design problem endemic to the model.

Samsung 10+ 1tb version. Same buzzing sound here, very audible when charging. I use an amp with hi-fidelity headphones so it is really annoying when a song is very quiet or not at full blast. Buzzing does not occur when not charging.

I did not have this problem with my old 7 edge, USB-C issue?

Top Liked Authors