Support

Open search

Bring back the individual text tones and notifications on S9

Apprentice

I got my new Galaxy S9 this past Friday it has the current version it says I'm up to date on messages I haven't got an update and I need those notification tones to be set for different people as different tones when am I supposed to get the update that's going to take care of this

First Poster

They have brought them back! I just figured it out. Idk if it was in an update but i can customize again!

In ur text area click on a thread. When that thread pops up click on the 3 dots in the top. That will drop down info on that person. Click on the notification area and u can change it from default to custom now!

Apprentice

Mine doesn't have that.  The three doors just brings up an album of pictures  the recipient, add/remove and block number.  If I click on the recipient, i get delete,  link contacts, block contact or move contact from phone as choices.  If I click on edit, I can assign a ringtone and a vibration pattern,  but no notification option.  My message app says the latest version is installed.  5.0.11.21.  The phone updated Saturday morning (I purchased the phone Friday afternoon, without researching first as mine died while out of town). Not real sure I like the phone at all,  but can't take it back. I don't mean to sound like sir grapes,  but this is ridiculous! 

Observer

I agree with you. I have a s7 that I just updated yesterday and it took that feature away; now I'm a little peeved. And my phone is eligible to upgrade, but now that I know the s9 does the same I'm going to hold off on getting it since nothing is wrong with my s7. And some people say to get a third party messager, but I like the messager on the phone I don't want two. Hopefully the fix comes soon.

First Poster

I noticed that today with my daughters s7. Maybe wait til the next update and it will be back on there. 

First Poster
Maybe wait a bit. It may not have gotten the update since the phone wasnt active.
Observer
I also used the text tone to identify business, personal, and family. Please bring it back!
First Poster

The option is available. Just not in the same settings as before. 

1. Go to Messaging App

2. Select a contact (message thread) you want to customize. 

3. Select the 3 dots at the top. 

4. At the top you should see CONVERSATION SETTINGS. Under it will be Notifications, select it. 

5. Select Custom & it's settings symbol

6. You will see the Sound option. 

@heidileinchen wrote:
I also used the text tone to identify business, personal, and family. Please bring it back!

😊

I tried opening a message, clicking the three dots, and nowhere can I customize the tones for a specific person.

First Poster

Mine is an S9+, if yours is S9, it may not.

Sorry

Top Liked Authors