Support

Open search

Bring back the individual text tones and notifications on S9

Explorer

@Coleen1 wrote:

Just found an easy solution and am now able to customize individual contact text notifications...go into your text conversation with the person you want to change tones. In the top right corner press the three dots. Turn "on" the custom notification button then touch in the larger white box that actually states "custom notification".  Then choose "sound". Here, you can choose a different sound for that person. Back out if this menu and that individuals sound is saved.

This is only for the thread of messages I dont want to keep my messages they will have it fixed with the 10 I'm sure they will im.not paying another 1000 bucks for it tho

Observer

Just found an easy solution and am now able to customize individual contact text notifications...go into your text conversation with the person you want to change tones. In the top right corner press the three dots. Turn "on" the custom notification button then touch in the larger white box that actually states "custom notification".  Then choose "sound". Here, you can choose a different sound for that person. Back out if this menu and that individuals sound is saved.

Highlighted
Pathfinder

@Coleen1 wrote:

Ok.. here we go again.  No, that won't work.  

1.  The tone is not assigned to the person.  It is assigned to the conversation thread.  So to maintain that "Custom" text message tone, you must NEVER delete that thread.  If you delete that thread, then there goes that customization.  I don't know about you, but I like to clear up some memory occasionally by deleting some of the THOUSANDS of text messages that I get. 

2.  The "New" method does not work with Group text messages.  (As has been listed many times earlier in this thread)  For example.  

Assign Tone A to Person A

Assign Tone B to Person B

Assign Tone C to Person C

Send a text message to each person one at a time and await their response.  You will get Tone A for A, B for B and C for C.

NOW Send a GROUP text to Person A, B and C and await their response.  You will get default the tonefor a general Text Message for each person.  Assign a Tone to that Group message and you will get ONE tone for Person A, B and C when they are responding in a group.  

My pharmacy sends me messages every month, reminding me that my Meds are ready to be refilled.  I Save that contact and assign a Quiet little beep for it.  I know who it is, I don't have to stop and read my messages.  I can keep a computer waiting for a bit.  On the other hand, I have my alarm company assigned a NASTY LOUD tone.  That way I know that it is an EMERGENCY that requires immediate attention.  My wife, and both my daughters have personalized tones.  If my eldest sends me a message, I know who it is before hand.  Same with my youngest and my wife.  BUT if my eldest sends a Group message to everyone, I get my default text tone.  

In the past, the text tones were assigned to the CONTACT and not the MESSAGE.  We need it BACK.  Textra no longer has the contact information to look for the text tones.  Most of my text messages are Group convesations between Family, Friends, Co-workers...  

Explorer

Mark my words this feature will be on the 10 just so they can get people who really want it back to buy it 

It's simple, just go onto your email app, click the 3 dots and change the notifications sound.

Pathfinder

@Ash180 wrote:

It's simple, just go onto your email app, click the 3 dots and change the notifications sound.

Since you didn't read the text and the post just above your comment,  I'll save time and just cut and paste. 

1.  The tone is not assigned to the person.  It is assigned to the conversation thread.  So to maintain that "Custom" text message tone, you must NEVER delete that thread.  If you delete that thread, then there goes that customization.  I don't know about you, but I like to clear up some memory occasionally by deleting some of the THOUSANDS of text messages that I get. 

2.  The "New" method does not work with Group text messages.  (As has been listed many times earlier in this thread)  For example.  

Assign Tone A to Person A

Assign Tone B to Person B

Assign Tone C to Person C

Send a text message to each person one at a time and await their response.  You will get Tone A for A, B for B and C for C.

NOW Send a GROUP text to Person A, B and C and await their response.  You will get default the tonefor a general Text Message for each person.  Assign a Tone to that Group message and you will get ONE tone for Person A, B and C when they are responding in a group.  

My pharmacy sends me messages every month, reminding me that my Meds are ready to be refilled.  I Save that contact and assign a Quiet little beep for it.  I know who it is, I don't have to stop and read my messages.  I can keep a computer waiting for a bit.  On the other hand, I have my alarm company assigned a NASTY LOUD tone.  That way I know that it is an EMERGENCY that requires immediate attention.  My wife, and both my daughters have personalized tones.  If my eldest sends me a message, I know who it is before hand.  Same with my youngest and my wife.  BUT if my eldest sends a Group message to everyone, I get my default text tone.  

In the past, the text tones were assigned to the CONTACT and not the MESSAGE.  We need it BACK.  Textra no longer has the contact information to look for the text tones.  Most of my text messages are Group convesations between Family, Friends, Co-workers...  

First Poster

Thank you for listening!

I can now tell my text tones apart!

My family is separated from others.

Explorer
How??? It still not fixed on my 9+ and om not talking about the thread I'm talking about each contact with their own text tone
Pathfinder
It will work for individual messages and not in group messages. And if you delete that thread, you lose all customization.
Explorer
Right so it's not fixed
Top Liked Authors