Support

Open search

Bring back the individual text tones and notifications on S9

Pathfinder

@Heidi2227 wrote:
Right so it's not fixed

Yup...  same thing I've been saying for the past several months.  People just read the headlines and bring up the same old, "Click the three dots in the corner" stuff and never read the thread.  Oh well.. thank goodness for Cut and paste.  LOL

Just Browsing

Wait a moment, Samsung does something dumber than dumb and says, maybe we will fix it in a future update and you say calm down?

First Poster

Well said.

Highlighted
First Poster

They didn't bring it back on the 10 ! P****s me off. Why would they take it away in the first place ??? I actually just discovered that all customization goes away when you delete the conversation.  WHAT B.S .so now I delete all messages in the conversation individually and leave the 1st one so it doesn't delete settings. Pain in the ass but only way it works. 

Pathfinder

@Stever6 wrote:

They didn't bring it back on the 10 ! P****s me off. Why would they take it away in the first place ??? I actually just discovered that all customization goes away when you delete the conversation.  WHAT B.S .so now I delete all messages in the conversation individually and leave the 1st one so it doesn't delete settings. Pain in the ass but only way it works. 

THANK YOU!!  I was afraid that people had forgotten about this fiasco.  Before, I could get a text from a computer or Pharmacist and save it to my contacts and assign a quiet little beep to it.  Now, I have to keep a copy of their last text message in order to preserve the customization.  I have tons of messages that I have to keep in order to maintain that custom tone.  WHY IN THE WORLD DID SAMSUNG DO THIS???  And please do not forget that that "Custom" text message tone does NOT EXTEND TO GROUP MESSAGES.  You get the default tone even though the members of that group have "Customized" Text message tones.  So much for Personalization I see.  

Coming from an LG G3 I am surprised by the lack of customization options for this new high end phone. Of course I want separate meme notification sounds for each friend... what are you thinking removing that option Samsung!?

Please bring back the individual text tones and messaging. It was such a great feature to have to be able to hear who is texting you. When the personal text tones were added to each contact

Observer

You can still personalize your message tone.

Go to your message app and look for the three little dots on the right side. Click/touch it (whatever you wann call it) then go to notifications. NOW. There are two. General notifications and new messages. Obv its new messages but general notifications like if the message failed to send, may be changed too. There you go.

Pathfinder

@Meimei123 wrote:

You can still personalize your message tone.

Go to your message app and look for the three little dots on the right side. Click/touch it (whatever you wann call it) then go to notifications. NOW. There are two. General notifications and new messages. Obv its new messages but general notifications like if the message failed to send, may be changed too. There you go.

I love doing this... I've pointed this out sooo many times.  There are many apps out there for SMS that will allow  you to customize a text message tone for a message thread.  I am using textra at this time.  However, none of them will allow that customization to overlap into GROUP messages.  

For example, I assign Tone A to friend A and Tone B to friend B.  I send a message to A, and when they respond I hear the tone for friend A.  The same goes with Friend B. 

BUT, if I send a group message to friend A AND to friend B, when either of them respond, I get the default text message tone.  Whereas before, when I assigned tones to the INDIVIDUAL through the contacts app, the custom tones extended to group messages also because the tones were assigned to the individual and not the message thread.

Also, by assigning them to the thread, I must retain a copy of at least one message in that thread for ever and ever.  IF I delete the thread, there goes all the customization for that individual.  

I liked to be able to assign a quiet little beep to my pharmacy reminding me that it's time to refill my meds, and a nasty, loud obnoxious siren tone to my alarm company telling me that my house is being broke into.  I liked to be able to assign individual tones to my family member so that I could tell who it was before I looked, even if they sent a message to me, or to the entire family.  The same for co-workers, team members, friends....  Group messages account for about 60% of my texting.  

My point is....  It wasn't broke then.  So why did they break it now?

Top Liked Authors