Support

Open search

Bluetooth doesn't work after PIE

Apprentice

Same on a 2016 XF for me that worked fine with Oreo and has been unusable since Pie landed. The S9+ Bluetooth works fine with any other device and car (the Jag went to the body shop for a week and we had a Qashqai) and my work iPhone has no problem pairing with the XF.  I’ve even tried enabling developer options on the S9 and changing some of the Bluetooth options there, but no joy. It’s like it’s trying to power save or enable some security setting, so when the phone display goes off, the BT is switched off. 

I’ll try that that suggestion of only connecting for phone or audio, which which would be helpful at least to maintain a phone connection. 

First Poster

I have a Galaxy S8+ which is bluetooth paired to my Samsung Galaxy Watch and my bluetooth scales.

Since updating to PIE whenever I switch the toggle to enable bluetooth, it does nothing.  It seems to switch the toggle but then switches straight back to off again.

Eventually it pops up with the box that shows my paired devices but it just wont connect.

After restarting my phone, turning wifi off and putting it into airplane mode, the buetooth *may* eventually enable.

Ive been using Samsung devices for almost 10 years, this is the first time I've ever had an update that I've had an issue with.

Please tell me there will be a fix for this?  Ive even tried to force stop bluetooth (doesnt give me an options to clear the cache in the bluetooth app), but its making it impossible to sync my watch or my scales.

Has anyone found an easy (not painful) workaround?

Explorer

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/Galaxy-S9-Bluetooth-issues-Android-9-Pie/td-p/89553...

Theres a never ending discussion here, same story... many cars from JLR involved, many tries to solve it, but nothing really worked... with oreo everything was fine...

Sorry guys but after months of trying now I am pretty sure the end-user is not able solve this without a proper update from either JLR or Google/Samsung...  (even though I had some success with a USB-C power supply in the car, but this was also not stable enough... )

First Poster

I discovered that in order to get my watch to connect to my phone via bluetooth, i have to turn off wifi, switch my phone to airplane mode and then switch on bluetooth and it will connect.  Once its connected, switch on wifi and turn off airplane mode

Observer

For those of you who are wondering if this issue is happening with other vehicles it absolutely is! I have a Mazda CX-5 and my brother has a Chevy Equinox we are both having the same exact issues with our S9 +. The connection will not stay in the car whatsoever. It will come on for a moment or two  and go right back off .  But in addition to that issue, I also have a Samsung watch and my connection also will not stay with the watch either I have not been able to get calls on my watch or car since the update to the phone. I spend a lot of money on Samsung products and I'm pretty pissed off they  have not fixed this yet

I have a 2018 Jaguar F-Pace and recently changed my iPhone 7 for  galaxy S9. With the iphone 7 I had no problems at all with my bluetooth connection to my car. With my galaxy S9 it does the same disconnection issue with bluetooth about every 20 seconds. It connects initially, then it disconnects after about 20 seconds, then the bluetooth option  is disabled from the source menu for about 10 seconds then it comes back and the whole cycle begins again. So frustrating on a £60k car. I had it back in to the dealer this week to try and sort it out but to be honest they didn't have a clue and were just guessing to try and fix it which of course they couldn't. The Jaguar/Land Rover technician I spoke to said that quite a few customers with Jags and LR's are reporting the same fault with their Samsung's and they cant fix it. I gather my options are either ditch the Samsung and go back to my iPhone or put up with the unbearable Samsung continually dropping its bluetooth connection with my Jag. Go back to the iPhone it is then, grrrrrr. Another unhappy Samsung customer 

Observer
I am having this exact same problem. As soon as I updated to PIE, my Galaxy S8's bluetooth stopped working properly. When I try turn it on, the Bluetooth button (in notification pull down menu) is highlighted. If I then close the notification menu and swipe it down again, the button is no longer highlighted. If I don't close the notification menu, it will stay highlighted but will ever actually turn on. The only way I can get it to work is to turn it on while my phone is changing to airplane mode (sometimes it won't even work when my phone is in airplane mode, I need to press during the 3-4 seconds it takes to changd to airplane made). I was really hoping Samsung may be working on a fix for this but given their lack response to this issue on their forum it appears unlikely. It seems we may have to go to an online tech website like CNET or Techradar and see if they can get a response off Samsung, because not having Bluetooth working on a modern flagship phone is a pretty damning story that will be hard to ignore to be honest.
Observer

Exactly the same problem here after Android Pie update. Discovery Sport Galaxy S9+

Apprentice

It seems that that the S9+ Bluetoothing to the 2016 XF is more stable if it's only phone (not media) that's connected. The iPhone 7 (now an 8 after an upgrade from work) continues to work flawlessly across Bluetooth...

First Poster

Me too with Jaguar xf 2016

Top Liked Authors