Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Badge count problem for messages and WhatsApps

(Topic created on: 09-10-2019 10:37 AM)
Bel-Fz
Journeyman
Options

Hi, My problem is the "badge count" on the app icon for Messages and WhatsApp, as this is showing the wrong information.  

If I receive a new message, either on Messages or Whatsapp the badge count is temporarily correct, but if I read one of those messages, leaving others unread, the badge count disappears, showing no unread messages, which is wrong. 

EG at the moment I have one "unread" message in Messages.  I know what it said because I saw the popup when it oringally came.  I don't want to "read" it as I haven't dealt with it yet.  This unread message doesn't show on the badge count unless another message comes through.  Then it says 2, correctly.  But as soon as I read that new message the badge count disappears.  

Likewise with Whatsapp, if I receive 5 new messages the badge count correctly shows 5, but if I read ONE of those messages the badge count disappears, showing no unread messages.  

I have the Samsung S9, but had the S7 until recently and had exactly the same problem with that phone.  I think it started a few months ago.  I have tried everything in the settings.   I have also sent a message to Samsung Support asking for help on this, but haven't heard back from them.  

This really annoying - can anyone help please?

Thanks.  

Bel-Fz

18 REPLIES 18
AndrewL
Options
@Bel-Fz: The badge will initially let you know how many notifications you have received for a particular app, however the badge is removed once that app has been opened. I understand that this isn't ideal, and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.
0 Likes
Bel-Fz
Journeyman
Options

Hi Andrew, and thanks for your quick reply.  

Surely this is a bug?  It can't have been designed like this surely?

Do you work for Samsung?

If not, how can I feed back to Samsung that is a problem?

Thanks,

Bel-Fz

0 Likes
DannyT
Options

Hey, @Bel-Fz.

This isn't a bug and is intended. If you head to Apps > Settings > Notifications > App Icon Badges it does explain how the badges work there.

Welcome to the Community!

0 Likes
Bel-Fz
Journeyman
Options

Thanks Danny, I've gone to Settings/Apps/then the app, eg Messenger, then Notifications then App Icon Badges, but there's no explanation about how the badges work, it's just a setting that's ON or OFF.  

This can't be intended as the badge count actually gives an incorrect count as soon as you read one message.  As soon as another message arrives the badge count temporarily shows the correct number of unread messages until you read just ONE of those messages, then it clears the badge count even though there might still be unread messages.

How do I get through to Samsung about this?

Thanks.

Bel-Fz
Journeyman
Options

Also, this used to work properly, up until a few months ago I think.  For years the badge count showed the correct number of messages.   Are you really saying that Samsung has redesigned this to make it show the wrong badge count?

Are there any Samsung employees who read these forums?

Thanks.  

DannyT
Options

We do work for Samsung, and can pass feedback on to the Development Team for you. But, this is an Android feature with the newest updates and not a Samsung only feature.

You can see from this guide here, that the older operating systems had the option in place to keep the icon, but the newer operating systems do not. 

0 Likes
DannyT
Options

We do work for Samsung, and can pass feedback on to the Development Team for you. But, this is an Android feature with the newest updates and not a Samsung only feature.

You can see from this guide here, that the older operating systems had the option in place to keep the icon, but the newer operating systems do not. 

Bel-Fz
Journeyman
Options

Hi Danny
This is a really useful reply, thank you so much.  Useful to know that it's Android wide, and very useful to have the link:

(https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/what-is-app-icon-badge/)

Yes, please do pass my feedback on to the Development Team as they must be able to pass this on to whoever develops Android.   Now I know it's not a Samsung only feature I'll try and post these comments to Android forums as well.  Could you suggest a good forum to post to please?

Now that I have read the page in the link above I see that the problem occurs in the Notifications as the App Icon Badge shows not unread messages, but uncleared Notifications.    In that case the problem, and my feedback, is slightly different:  the notification should only be cleared once the message that the notification relates to has been read.   Please pass this on to the Development Team.

Thanks very much for your help.

Rjg-gpe
Student
Options

Bel-Fz

Apprentice, 

You have done an excellent job of
articulating my EXACT sentiments!!!
 Thanks so much for your post.
I want to keep and use my S9,
but losing this feature might be
a reason for me to give up on