Support

Open search

Android pie beta program

Highlighted
Navigator

EXACTLY.... This is a complex process (I have been thru it with Samsung a few times and for many years as a Microsoft Insider with Windows PC's on Windows Mobile).

There is a plan to roll it out region by region. If they hit a snag (their end or with target devices) then they will pause. A beta by very nature is unfinished but I would rather have a mildly buggy piece of s/w rather than one with big issues or bricking my phone.

No point in hounding the support team 10 times a day, they are trained (loosely speaking!!) to support issues with phones and wont necessarily have insight to marketing and 3rd line / rollout teams.

No one is forcing us to refresh 100 times a day.... but we do!

Based on past experience, the registration stays open for a few days so its unlikely you will miss out on reg or thye beta.

Bearing in mind, theres probably only a few hundred ppl in the UK that desperately waiting for the beta, and lets face it, its not a radical change and fixing a broken Android 8!

So... Keep Calm and Carry On!

Peace out!

Navigator

Has anyone in the UK with XEU firmware, (Carphone warehouse 😄) flashed the beta firmware? If so what build was you on and what build did you flash?

First Poster

@Bradleigh wrote:

Your device will still say it is uncertified in the Google Play Store settings. This is normal. All this fix does is white-list your uncertified device so you can still use Google apps and services.

1. Find your device’s GSF Device-ID. There’s a simple app on the Play Store called ‘Device ID‘, but since you obviously can’t access the Play Store I have mirrored the application here.
  2. Open the app and copy the code in the second line called “Google Service Framework (GSF).”
  3. Go to this webpage.
  4. Enter your GSF Device-ID in the “Android ID” box.
  5. After you tap “Register”, your registered ID should appear on the page.

i did this but nothings changed - am i missing something? btw i still have full access to Play Store, just not Google Pay (which i can live without) - beta 9 working completely fine otherwise. 

Navigator
you missed nothing.
Even with the postet guide Google Pay wont work and there is no way around that beside going back to offical oreo or waiting for offical pie release.
First Poster

@maik005 wrote:
you missed nothing.
Even with the postet guide Google Pay wont work and there is no way around that beside going back to offical oreo or waiting for offical pie release.

cheers - ill just wait for the office and jump to that version once out. 

Apprentice

Nonwithstanding the mods advice not to flash ROMs from unofficial sources, I thought I would relay my experience of doing just that... 

Before I start, if you are not sure about what you are doing then you are better off waiting for the official OTA release. Whilst the process is not that difficult, it does carry a degree of risk especially if you are downloading files from unofficial sources. The mods don't want you to brick your device or get it infected with malware or viruses. This is an official Samsung forum so we should respect their stance on this. 

For those that are interested in taking the plunge, please do your own research. There is plenty of info out there about how to flash using the stock bootloader. If having done your research you still feel unsure then the right thing to do is wait for the official OTA.

My device is an S9+ which was on BJR6 BTU, and I flashed via the SD card method. I find this is more reliable than using adb sideload and I know from prior experience that an SD update should receive future OTA updates. I downloaded the S9+ firmware from a source that is already referenced elsewhere on this forum. Before I started I used Smart Switch to make a backup of my device.

The flashing operation took about 8 minutes, with a further 3 or so minutes post-boot until the phone was usable. I didn't clear /cache.

Post-boot, I can report that Knox has not been tripped, Samsung Members has welcomed me as a Beta member, Google Play and Google Pay are working (I've used the latter to make a payment) and so far I have not spotted any other issues. For me, doing this update was worth the risk given that there's been a delay in the official OTA. Worst case, I will flash back to BJR6 BTU and join the OTA when it is released but fingers crossed I won't need to.

Navigator

@markd66 wrote:

Nonwithstanding the mods advice not to flash ROMs from unofficial sources, I thought I would relay my experience of doing just that... 

Before I start, if you are not sure about what you are doing then you are better off waiting for the official OTA release. Whilst the process is not that difficult, it does carry a degree of risk especially if you are downloading files from unofficial sources. The mods don't want you to brick your device or get it infected with malware or viruses. This is an official Samsung forum so we should respect their stance on this. 

For those that are interested in taking the plunge, please do your own research. There is plenty of info out there about how to flash using the stock bootloader. If having done your research you still feel unsure then the right thing to do is wait for the official OTA.

My device is an S9+ which was on BJR6 BTU, and I flashed via the SD card method. I find this is more reliable than using adb sideload and I know from prior experience that an SD update should receive future OTA updates. I downloaded the S9+ firmware from a source that is already referenced elsewhere on this forum. Before I started I used Smart Switch to make a backup of my device.

The flashing operation took about 8 minutes, with a further 3 or so minutes post-boot until the phone was usable. I didn't clear /cache.

Post-boot, I can report that Knox has not been tripped, Samsung Members has welcomed me as a Beta member, Google Play and Google Pay are working (I've used the latter to make a payment) and so far I have not spotted any other issues. For me, doing this update was worth the risk given that there's been a delay in the official OTA. Worst case, I will flash back to BJR6 BTU and join the OTA when it is released but fingers crossed I won't need to.

did you download from mega on you phone or computer, because i have the s9 and evry time i try the s9 file i get th error.

Jamie Warren
Apprentice

On my laptop. 

First Poster

@JamieWarren

did you download from mega on you phone or computer, because i have the s9 and evry time i try the s9 file i get th error.

i downloaded on my phone and then moved to the SD card - have to say my experience is the same as the other poster, apart from Google Pay not working... 

Navigator

@Abiodun wrote:

@JamieWarren

i downloaded on my phone and then moved to the SD card - have to say my experience is the same as the other poster, apart from Google Pay not working... 

from Mega?

Jamie Warren
Top Liked Authors