Support

Open search

Android 9 Navigation bar

Highlighted
First Poster

Hi guys, 

Did Samsung really disabled the function to hide the navigation bar?

You can only chose between a permanent navigation bar or the swipe gestures (which are imho not that good for one handed use). Using the gesture mode also disables the one handed mode. 

Btw: where is Google assistant when using gestures? 

12 REPLIES 12
First Poster

I'm also disappointed that they removed that option. I've tried to live with a gesture mode but dear God it's awful.

First Poster

I'm hoping for a patch to turn it back. Gesture is useless & solid bar blocks swiping items onto my wishlist on Amazon  Come on Samsung at least give us the choice of the old "swipe up & press" it was much better. You've basically cut off the bottom of the screen on an all screen phone 🤔. Yes we have the gesture option, but is dreadful 😒

I hate that I can't hide the navigation bar anymore, whose idea was that??

First Poster
I'm shocked they removed this. I regularly use one media app in particular that has no other way of casting but screen sharing. Cannot get rid of that bloody bar - which on an LG C8 UHD TV and from a Note 9, after spending a small fortune on kit, is appalling. Why do updates make life harder for users? Why on earth do "upgrades" actually make user experience worse?

They forced you to have bixby and wont let you hide navigation bar when you cast to a tv you can see the bar this is pathetic and i wont be buying samsung again. awful

First Poster

You can cometetly disable bixby & the bixby button. YouTube it. Unfortunately we can't have the previous navigation bar & I want the old one too. The new android 9 has forced us to have a constant navigation bar (even on tv/laptop mirroring) or a "gesture system" that just doesn't work! You can't split phone screen, quick switch to previous app or bring up Google assistant. I want the old navigation bar where you can swipe it up to use ALL buttons & double tap the left to hold the navigation bar there, do the same to remove it. The Samsung S9 & S9+ is meant to be a complete screen, even now my navigation bar has cut out the bottom of the "complete screen phone". It's a joke! Samaung should update an option to use the original "complete screen swipe up navigation bar". Gesture doest work! & constant navigation bar has ruined the phone! 

First Poster

please re-enable old buttons bar.

After please bring back auto hide. You ruined a great phone

First Poster

TOTALLY AGREE, samsung s8+ user, this would be my 2nd year on this phone after changing from the note 5, and just today finally got the update notification for it and honestly i am so annoyed at the fact that the option to hide the navigation bar is no more, not only that the new theme looks like something i have on a super old LG android, its so blocky and looks like a toddler had darkly colored very well inside the lines, im just really glad they give us the option the change the lock screen to how we like it, honestly missing the android 8 oreo, at least it looks simplistic and professional, this new software feels like im using an ios ... but with extra steps. Am highly disappointed

Top Liked Authors