Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 01-02-2020 05:03 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
Joel091290
First Poster
Options

Because wasn't enough to eliminate VR from the Note 10 and now they did the same with the S9... what a disappointment! now I have my VR collecting dust. 

0 Likes
Monkmaster
Student
Options

I used this phone platform for education. There was no need to kill this knowing full well how many educators use this cheap platform. If you dont fix this I will move on the pixel until google kills this as well in the next few years. You didnt need to end its life cycle yet. So upset about this. There is only a few lines of code in the permission to change this. Ridiculous. I may start calling you sony Samsung. 

0 Likes
Yatomd
Explorer
Options

White pages of comments and nobody from Samsung given replies. Freaking ridiculous. This is the last time I'm buying any Samsung product. You completely lost me. Thinking about moving to iPhone. Go to hell. Piece of s*** company. P*****g on its clients. Google isn't better either. People have invested money in a product that they cannot use anymore.

0 Likes
S9own4736
Journeyman
Options

Fix this Samsung you just killed all my android daydream apps and rendered my headset useless with either a careless update or a deliberate attempt to push people to your service. 

Whichever I'll give you until August after that I'm going to boycott future Samsung phones (having preferred them for years) this is awful.

0 Likes
MrPaul
Apprentice
Options

So how exactly can we communiucate this to Samsung?

Do they have a "chat" feature on their website?

0 Likes
MrPaul
Apprentice
Options

Better yet, I plan on taking Samsung to small claims court, and have them re-imburse me for my daydream. 

Monkmaster
Student
Options

I got 3 for my classroom. Even though they no longer support their old gear vr as well (I have that also) you can still use the apps. We could have still have used the daydream software.  This is real bull*****. One line in the source code. C'mon guys.

Caden
Apprentice
Options

Has any of us sent email to Samsung customer services?  Life expectancy for daydream and Samsung S9 is so short.   I expected it work like Microsoft window.  The support is discontinued but I can still use it for quite sometimes. 

0 Likes
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

If you look higher up in the thread someone is supposed to get an answer back. It has not come yet. I just got an update for my phone today. Nothing has changed in reference to this. I paid for games inside of daydream....I lost money on this. There just was not a reason to discontinue functionality.

Sign the petition
http://chng.it/WQnjVKHvVv

Class action lawsuit, anyone?

Bump this post everyday or we lose this war.

JesseJames81
First Poster
Options

Hi, 

Am on a note 9. Recently pulled out my day dream because my 3 year old got excited when he saw it, popped it in and saw the dreaded incompatibility message that everyone's talking about. 

Am a noob, and am not comfortable rooting my phone. The solution that was mentioned on the xda forum (without rooting), can anyone point me to the exact files needed for a Note 9? I know that not all the apps will work but just wanna get the basics up and running for the kiddo. 

0 Likes