Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 23-05-2020 05:14 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
aschor
Apprentice
Options

like Caden said : this is not helping, cause it's not here. Is this a community, or what ? I feel like there are "thread terrorists" out there, not wanting to help but wanting to be helped on their particular topic. Note here : I did not "ask for help" on the subject of task changer, I just reported that android 10 did kill that too and thus giving you arguments agains samsung, no need to be rude for that !

If I don't get help from samsung, if I don't get help from samsung "community", man, there is no hope here, just a place to whine.

ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

You probably aren't going to get help with task switching in this thread anyways because we are researching a particular grievance. Most here only see one problem and are blinded by it.

0 Likes
Bboxer
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

Sorry if I came across as rude, I wasn't try ing to be. Just to verify, the task switcher has not been killed off, as I use it with gesture navigation.

Here is how to use it-

Go to your settings app. After locating display, click it. Scroll down some more, then find navigation bar. Click it, then change the settings there. If you are using buttons, then the one with three lines on it will switch tasks. If you are using gesture navigation from android pie(the one like this ___ ___ ___ and is called swipe from bottom) then swipe up on the left side to access task switcher. Lastly, if you are using swipe from bottom and sides, then take the pill at the bottom(looks like this-.      _______       ), hold it and then swipe it up.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Bboxer
Journeyman
Options

Edit- if you want to switch tasks while she sliding on the home button, then you will need to use swipe from bottom and sides for that. Once again, can confirm it working on s9 plus with Android 10.20200524_124811.gif

bigjohnsta
First Poster
Options
Same issue.... it's almost June 2020 and this issue was reported in January.... what a joke Samsung.
0 Likes
Konfusion
Journeyman
Options

I broke down and bought an Oculus Quest.

I now see why the Google Daydream product has lost dev interest. The devs in both camps probably haven't put them down since they were sent prototypes.

0 Likes
Caden
Apprentice
Options

It is really a joke.   Samsung created a forum without any supports from forum moderator.   People have had concerns and received no feedback from Samsung.   This is a real major set back for Daydream VR users.  Who can guarantee that Oculus won't do the same thing?  Remember HD-DVD red case or 3D TV?  Customers are victims of these manufactures.   Save your money and used for something better.   

0 Likes
endpoint101
Navigator
Options

Hi @AntS  any chance you can follow this up with Samsung?

0 Likes
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

Just doing my daily contribution to get this fixed. Where is the harm in putting it back? At least tell us that!

Sign the petition
http://chng.it/WQnjVKHvVv

Class action lawsuit, anyone?

0 Likes
Yatomd
Explorer
Options
This is great. I signed the petition. I hope a lot more do. I think we should also do something on the Google front. Does anyone have a customer support number at Google? I could not find one. Always that stupid support page online.
0 Likes