Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 12-04-2020 08:29 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
JerryR
Explorer
Options

That really sucks.... 

Definitely never getting another Samsung anything ever again.

Konfusion
Journeyman
Options

Huh. Well. My company is getting ready to replace all of the phones for the guys in the field. I usually recommend Samsung, but it's looking like Samsung's unresponsive customer service isn't very compelling, now.

proteas78
Journeyman
Options

Hey SAMSUNG...WHERE ARE YOU?  You have made us discussing how to root our phones at your official site...for something so simple. Do you prefer all this instead of giving us what is right? A simple little fix ? how hard can it be? How complicated can it be ?

And please...by all means...so that we can get things right ...

Send our request officially as SAMSUNG to GOOGLE...(if you can ' t fix it) ...and get a reply. 

And do it with pasting all the communication in this forum!!! 

Get something done for your consumers at last...Your SAMSUNG!!!!Not HUAWEI!!!

aschor
Apprentice
Options

Hi guys

following from day 1 I had the notification to upgrade to android 10 (I did not). Big +1 to this. 

Sadly, after my failed S3 (sooo many things wrong with it, they didn't even respect the 2 years upgrade cycle, bought in android 4.2, never got 4.3 upgrade) I said "never again samsung".

After they removed youtube and netflix from my smartv because "h264 was too much" (lol, it handles h264 dvb-t just well !), I sayd "never again samsung"

this time, seeing how they refuse to take their customers into consideration, you have my word ! I hope you will be able to open a class action on this (it does not exist here in France). 

As others wrote. All of that because they don't listen to their own customers ... so sad. They don't deserve us.

Dombroskibt
First Poster
Options

I would like this fixed as well. Tried using on my S9 and was very frustrated to learn it didn't work

Ltc07
Apprentice
Options

I hate android 10 since it doesnt support vr. So much want to downgrade my phone back to the good running android 9, at least my vr would still work. Ive read that pixel phones still work with vr inandroid 10. Its the fault of samsung. So much was looking forward to an s10 phone, but now maybe its time to move away from samsung. Nowhere was it mentioned that vr would no longer run. I wouldnt have upgraded to android 10. Phone has been problems since. Was nice having all my apps along wirh vr on my s9. All the android upgrades were good except android 10. Had to reset phone and reinstall everything because the upgrade is buggy, phone is buggy at times. Some apps refuse to run in 10, so much want android 9 back. You could offer a patch so we can still run vr. It cant be that hard. Maybe its time to move away from samsung. Your call, offer a patch or loose customers.

JerryR
Explorer
Options

I was able to downgrade my Note 9 back to Pie so I have Daydream back. Really stupid I had to go so far to get a feature back. I have bought around 10 Samsung devices in the past couple years (including S10Plus, S10, S10e, Note 10 Plus) but no more. I'm totally done with Samsung. I'm glad I was smart enough to wait for support's official answer on this issue before buying an S20. Now I know not to.

Konfusion
Journeyman
Options

Ant messaged me to get more info about my conversation with Google. Naturally, he couldn't comment on the progress, but, at the very least, it sounds like they haven't abandoned us on this subject.

It brightened my gloomy outlook on the future of VR with my S9 at least!

0 Likes
Ltc07
Apprentice
Options

Where did you find the firmware for your phone ? I need to downgrade my s9 back to android 9, everything worked then. Android 10 is horrible on samsung phones, some of my apps no longer work, they arent just vr apps. I tried to use bluetooth to send stereo sound to amp, it has problems now too. Only wants to let me use one bluetooth device at a time, used to be able to run two. Was using left and right sources thru blutooth to stereo blutooth reciever, cant download the firmware from the sammobile site, way way too many adds and the site doesnt work. There has to be a way to get the firmware other than sites that want paid subscriptions. 

0 Likes
Ltc07
Apprentice
Options

Really hating samsung now. I no longer want the s10. Had been holding out to get the 128 gb s10 phone. They used to be nice untill samsung decided to take functionality away from us. Using two bluetooth modes was one big reason i bought the s9. The s8 with android 9 runs all my apps, too bad it doesnt have stereo speakers and allow you to use two bluetooth devices at a time. I bought the s9 because i needed the use of two bluetooth modes at a time, liked the stereo speakers, oh well,, samsung had to kill it with android 10, the " killer update". I want the pixel phone, so long samsung. Once loved samsung phones, but not when they kill functionality. Time to buy pixel since samsung refuses to fix problems and restore vr to android.  Dont buy samsung !!