Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 31-03-2020 04:02 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
JerryR
Explorer
Options

@Wreckronomicon Tried that. Google says the exact same thing: "Daydream is discontinued. Contact Samsung"

Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

Wouldn't it fall under the license required for GMS rather than falling under AOSP though? Genuine question, I'm not entirely sure if that is the case or not.

JerryR
Explorer
Options

@Wreckronomicon Can't get past tier 1 support to find out. They just say "Contact Samsung" and it never gets any further. Google support is worse than Samsung support by far.

Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

I vaguely remember reading a post somewhere that mentioned it is possible to modify the Google VR services APK and remove the check. I didn't look too much in to it at the time as i wasn't rooted, I'll see if i can find it again, make a modified APK and upload it somewhere.

JerryR
Explorer
Options

@Wreckronomicon Some of the apps also have the check. So while you can get the Daydream app and some Google things to work, many apps will just crash. It needs to be fixed at the hardware flag level.

Also, I'd rather not trip Knox so I can still use Samsung Pay, etc. Downgrading seems a better way especially because rooting has to be redone with each update going forward. 

GinKage
Apprentice
Options

It's not just about a check in VR services: there's also a check in System Server that starts the VR service if "vr_high_performance" is reported (see AOSP):

https://github.com/aosp-mirror/platform_frameworks_base/blob/master/services/java/com/android/server...

That's kind of important for the Sustained Performance mode Daydream depends on.

There might be other differences, but the bottom line is: unless the handset reports these flags, Daydream won't fully work.

User111
Journeyman
Options

Dear AntS,

Thanks for trying to help, but the info you provided is not true.

As Kayy,

proteas78
Journeyman
Options

First of all it seems to me very weird that 2 partners (android - Samsung) can 't figure out a way for their customers to be happy. It ' s trully very weird and to be honest ...very frustreting. If those 2 colossal companies can ' t work together how are we going to find the solution? As i am conserned this is not even our job...we just choose a phone...we buy it and want to be fully functional!!!!

It seems like samsung and google just dont care to give us the proper attention and solve the problem...that ' s the feeling i am getting.

So ...for one more time...samsung...give us by yourself the solution. We dont care what matter it is ...flag...not flag...android code or note.

Give us a patch or something...maybe an optional downgrade from samsung support through your programs so that we can use it!!! Its so simple!!!

What i am really want to emphasise...is that all this is more important right now because of the situation that every country is in ...we are staying home...we cant get out unless is very important... so we need every possible way to help us pass our time...

Every one is doing the best they  can...from their side to help the situation to get better...either by following all these instructions and staying home...the doctors and nurses in the front line are just admirable...do your little thing  and give us a working solution as soon as possible!!!

Its not of big importance as the medical help...but it will make our inclosure more pleasant!!! 

Konfusion
Journeyman
Options

I have contacted Google support. They said your information is invalid. The problem exists on Samsung's side of the fence.

-------

Thanks for contacting Google Support.

Samsung S9 is not owned by Google and therefore we don´t have control over how they update their system.

Konfusion
Journeyman
Options
Alternatively, can you offer us a more stock Android experience? I like oneui well enough, but I, literally, bought this phone so I could dreamscape with it... And I can't.