Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 29-03-2020 03:59 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
yandu
Apprentice
Options

This seems like a fairly easy fix. I hope you fix it, please

hks1
Journeyman
Options

Does anyone know if the March 1st security patch G965FXXS7DTB5 fixes the Daydream issue? If Samsung doesn't fix this I am seriously thinking of rooting my SM-965F/DS Singapore version phone with a custom rom that includes DayDream functionality---Does this exist?

0 Likes
JerryR
Explorer
Options

March 1 update didnt fix it on my Note 9. I doubt it fixed it on the S9 either.

I recommend everyone go on Twitter and complain to your local Samsung accounts (@SamsungSupport @SamsungMobileUS @SamsungUS @SamsungCanada @SamsungUK @SamsungPH) and include Android news sites like @AndroidPolice @androidcentral @AndroidAuth

Complaining on here doesnt matter because only Samsung sees it and ignores it. We need to complain where more people can see it because its public. 

Leader2light
Explorer
Options

Samsung needs to fix this in OneUi 2.1 update.  

AntS
Options

Hi all,

We asked our developers about this one. They've advised us that Daydream has been discontinued by Google, and so new devices or new OS's are unable to be certified for it.

I found this which backs that up: https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/15/google-discontinues-daydream-vr/  

0 Likes
JerryR
Explorer
Options

Daydream is discontinued for NEW devices. It still works on devices that were previously certified.

That's like saying I can't use headphones on a Note 9 because the jack was removed in the Note 10. Makes no sense. 

Likewise GearVR was discontinued by Samsung but still works on a S10! 

Daydream still works on Pixel devices on Android 10. And it still works on Samsung devices that are still on Android 9 (Pie). And if you root your Samsung on Android 10, it works on there too. 

Samsung needs to edit the XML so that the Daydream app doesn't say the device is not compatible. This is NOT a Google issue.

https://www.xda-developers.com/force-daydream-vr-compatibility/

Please issue a fix in the next monthly patch to restore Daydream compatibility! 

Robinl
Pioneer
Options

Dear @AntS 

I'm sorry but with all due respect, you didn't understand what we are talking about.

We don't care about what google will support on new devices. We are saying that you (Samsung) changed a flag in the config files when you updated One UI to 2.0

This flags prevents us from using apps that were perfectly working on One UI 1.0.

We already provided the fix, you just have to implement it !

S9 and S9+ are perfectly capable to handle Daydream app and realated app using Daydream API.

It just depends on Samsung to:

1) keep on ignoring legitimate request and keep on repeating stupid unrelated excuses

2) implement the flags we provided and actually listen to customers for once

Your choice.

OLLOPOLLO
Journeyman
Options
Exactly like JerryR said!
I think it easier to change the xml files then arguing around ?
and risking good customers in the future, isn`t it ?
Robinl
Pioneer
Options
@AntS If you don't want to have issue with certification, please add the flags as part of Developer settings. That way you don't take any responsibility and everyone will be happy.
JerryR
Explorer
Options

@AntS can you also ask the developer why in Beta after I notified them that Daydream was broken that they told me that it would be fixed in final?

If we had known that Daydream was not going to work in Android 10 in advance at least people would have known not to update.

Now we have to risk bricking or tripping Knox to get back a feature that was taken away.

I didn't buy an S20 due to this attitude. I'll get rid of my Note 9 and Note 10 and buy a still working Pixel if this isn't going to get fixed. I'll be done with Samsung for good.