Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 22-03-2020 07:17 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
Zacrotus
Journeyman
Options

Alas, the controller does not work in other apps either. At first I mistakenly thought that the controller was out of battery and needed charging, but it acts the same way for all the apps.
I found out on Reddit that the whole reason to shut it down is Google's public announcement in October 2019 to discontinue Daydream permanently: https://www.reddit.com/r/daydream/comments/eo1bql/daydream_compatibility_in_android_10/

So based on this, my assumption is that Samsung is going to just look the other way. Don't expect them to patch it. Like the user gin_kage on Reddit said about his/her's contact with Samsung support where they replied: "we don't develop Daydream, so it's not our problem". 

This really sucks for us. IMHO the Daydream is just as good as Oculus Go but much more affordable. It's an easy fix for Samsung to just add the support flags to make it run again, and it's an opportunity to take the market share for all Daydream users since Google is dropping the mic. I don't understand how they are reasoning!?

User111
Journeyman
Options

Hi All,

I have a Note9 and I also had no luck with Samsung support, trying to explain that it is a simple issue and they should fix this.

I tried researching if there are any solutions that don't require rooting the device and found this in a forum:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-z-play/help/trying-to-daydream-mzp-root-t3657042/page2/amp/

Basically, Google VR Services is modified to remove the check for android.software.vr.mode and android.hardware.vr.high_performance flags. This was originally intended for running Daydream on non-compatible phones. I installed the provided apk, and some functionality was restored! I can enter the Daydream app without the error message, the controller works fine, some apps work fine (e.g. Experiences, Youtube VR). On the negative side, a lot of apps don't work, probably because they do some direct checks for these flags.

Hope Samsung will eventually add the flags back and such partial workarounds won't be needed.

Kayy
Apprentice
Options
I find it disgusting that we have to resort to measures such as installing some apk modified by someone on the internet that might brick our phones. esprcially when all Samsung needs to do is NOT mess with some system flag which was intentionally changed to remove launch day functuonality. I do appreciate all the effort though. Thank you for suggestion.

Can you list some of the apps you tried that don't work?
OLLOPOLLO
Journeyman
Options
Someone has a solution right now. I´m really disappointed as I use the daydream for my 360 vr movies and now I cannot use it anymore. I had the same issue with the gear VR, stopped working from one day to the other. I might have to change to a different manufacturer in the future : ( just for watching those movies.
The daydreamapp of User 111 didn´t work for me and my S9+.
danbryant
Apprentice
Options

Does factory resetting a phone, downgrade the android software back to its original software? This is pretty laughable that something that seems so easy to fix by samsung, is being ignored. Lost a bit of faith in there lack of response

TheLittleDoctor
Apprentice
Options
Hi,
I contacted Samsung about the issue, and after troubleshooting the device, what they said is that I can take the phone to a certified repair store like Ubreakfix (I think), explain the issue, and they can reflash your phone with a working patch. I have been unable to leave the house, but I think it's worth a shot. If this will keep me from having to root my phone, then great!
Best of luck,
TheLittleDoctor
0 Likes
Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

All they would do is flash an older version of Android rather than some magical patch that Samsung themselves haven't released. You can do that yoirself at home with a PC, Odin and a ROM of Android 9 without rooting so if that's the route you're taking then save yourself some money and do it yourself.

0 Likes
OLLOPOLLO
Journeyman
Options
Well keep us informed what they do. If they simply flash your phone down to Android 9 you will end up with an unsupported OS. But well , if Samsung does not offer a different solution I'll root my S9+ and do that : (
https://www.xda-developers.com/force-daydream-vr-compatibility/

bestluck
Oliver
Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

Just to ease any fears...I have done this with my Note 9 and it works without issues.

0 Likes
OLLOPOLLO
Journeyman
Options
Thanks, that it is exactly what I wanted to hear : )
Did you follow the xda-developer.com tutorial I found ?
https://www.xda-developers.com/force-daydream-vr-compatibility/

kind regards
Oliver