Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 04-03-2020 04:09 AM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

The instructions for forcing comparability are here:

https://www.xda-developers.com/force-daydream-vr-compatibility/amp/

I won't link rooting instructions because you'll do this at your own risk but if you Google 'XDA Root Note 9' or similar them you'll find what you need. FYI, rooting doesn't work on Exynos versions so don't try.

hks1
Journeyman
Options

@Wreckronomicon wrote:

The instructions for forcing comparability are here:

https://www.xda-developers.com/force-daydream-vr-compatibility/amp/

I won't link rooting instructions because you'll do this at your own risk but if you Google 'XDA Root Note 9' or similar them you'll find what you need. FYI, rooting doesn't work on Exynos versions so don't try.

Unfortunately I have the 965 dual sim international Exynos version. How could Samsung screw this update up so badly and do nothing to address it is truly disappointing. I may be done with Samsung due to their neglegance in supporting their product.

Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

That sucks. While Daydream isn't their product there was no reason for them to remove the flag, it had to have been intentional but for what reason, who knows?

Yamashi
First Poster
Options

Please fix this Samsung ! Or at least let us revert !

Zacrotus
Journeyman
Options
But why, Samsung?! What were you thinking?!! The Daydream compatibility was the main reason I bought a S9! Please tell me that it was a mistake and this will be patched in the next release!
Willy44
First Poster
Options

Please fix it Samsung, it is a shame not to be able to use Daydream when it is claim to be compatible

ViniMacnicol
Journeyman
Options

DayDream Compatibility was the main reason I bought an S9. As I said in my post, here in Brazil it is still an expensive phone (2k) but it was double the price in the past.

Since the Android 10 update, I can't use DayDream anymore, and I have just updated my phone with March's patch hoping this imcompatiblity were only an intern's mistake who forgot to add some lines to the permisson file, but it is still imcompatible. So there is no other way but to believe Samsung doesn't read our appeals here, or just doesn't care for them. In the last hypothesis, it would be very sad to see such huge lack of respect to S9/S9+ users who trusted the company and invested their money on it, helping it be what it is today.

Robinl
Pioneer
Options

Security updates in February and March but still not a single bugfix for One UI 2.0 !

This is really outrageous...

And still absolutely no response from the moderators on the forum... what are they useful for ?!

Zacrotus
Journeyman
Options

It has been fixed in the latest patch of Android 10, folks! I just installed it and now I can use the VR apps again!

0 Likes
Khanhee
Apprentice
Options

Can you post a photo or other form of proof? I am not updating to Android 10 until I know for sure I can continue to use Daydream.

Can anyone else confirm?